No announcement yet.

SA hops usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the advise.. as I'm still novice and this being my first experimental brew - so, all guidance is appreciated.

I added 25g S Dawn @60min.
    25g A Queen @15min
    25g A Queen at flameout then whirlpool.

Is it necessary to add so much hops - 50gram + 50grams? According to the online brew guide the IBUs fall within the APA BJCP style. I only bought a 50g packet African Queen and wanted to do a single hop aroma addition for me to taste what the hops taste like individually. I guess I can buy more to add for dry hopping.

Check out:
    https://brewgr.com/recipe/86953

Comment

No need to add that much. It's just based on my preference. The best advice on here is make the beer you want. It's you drinking it.

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
        No need to add that much. It's just based on my preference. The best advice on here is make the beer you want. It's you drinking it.
        Cool. .. I've got 15mins left on the boil as we speak. Will collect more hops from the brewshop over the weekend, then add more African Queen as a dryhop.

Comment

Been using SA hops since 2018, purchase directly from SA hop farms, works out very cheap. Current price around R209 per kg. Usually get a few kg every year.

Info for SA hop farms below.
          Our procedure is as follow:

1. You let us know how much of which variety you would like.
          Just to clarify any misunderstandings and to give you a holistic picture of our products.

We produce two kinds of pellets, namely T90 and PIH.
          The Type 90 pellet is made from dried hop cone powder simply put through a die to produce pellets.
          It is called "Type 90" because there is about 10% waste in the production process, from dried hops to pellets.

We produce single variety T 90 pellets e.g. S, Star; S, Promise, J17, S. Passion. S Aroma etc. as well as a blended T 90 pellet (S. Star, S, Prom, S. Dawn) – see make up below. (30-40% utilization)

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Ivan\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image001.jpg[/IMG]

Then we also make a PIH blend (S. Star, S, Prom, S. Dawn) where the pellets are pre isomerised (alpha acids converted to iso alpha acids by exposure to heat.)
          Utilization is typically 45-55%. This is the only difference. There are no single varieties in PIH form.

2. We will then send you a Pro-Forma Invoice

3. Once you have paid the hops you send us a proof of payment

4. We invoice and send hops of via courier we will give you full details of carton size to arrange your courier, please supply us with your full street address and contact number

Feel free to contact me if you require any further information.

Courier companies that run from George
          Skynet George = Chantill Wonderlik = chantillw@skynet.co.za = 044 874 2215
          DSV = Theodore Windvogel = customerservice@za.go2uti.com = 044 878 1131
          Courier Guy = 0861 203 203 = jhb@thecourierguy.co.za = 044 873 0131
          Globeflight = Gert van Schalkwyk = gert@gelgroup.co.za = 044 874 0286

Our packaging is 500g, 1kg and 20kg

[IMG]file:///C:\Users\Ivan\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image002.jpg[/IMG]

Kind Regards
          Magda Rossouw
          Hopfarms
          Tel: +27 44 802 8424 Fax: +27 44 870 7550
          Email:Magda.Rossouw@za.sabmiller.com, Magda.Rossouw@za.ab-inbev.com
          Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Anyone keen on ordering a batch and splitting shipping? I'm around the centurion/midrand area.
            I'd like a kilo each of Promise and J17

Comment

I'm sukkeling to upload a image of the beer in glass to this post.

The 'attach image' (uploading a file from computer) interface doesn't work, copyng and pasting the image file straight into the post, results in an error of the post being too large (>10000 chars).

Admin - how do I post an image ?
              Thx

Comment

Post the image to a hosting site like Imgur, copy the URL and insert it using [img] tags. That's pretty foolproof, and then you don't put strain on the W&A server with images.

Comment

Like this .... (works for me every time)

11.jpg
                  22.jpg
                  33.jpg

If I had to first upload images to an image site, i would more than likely NEVER post an pic ....

Aint Nobody.jpg
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                    Thanks for all the advise.. as I'm still novice and this being my first experimental brew - so, all guidance is appreciated.

I added 25g S Dawn @60min.
                    25g A Queen @15min
                    25g A Queen at flameout then whirlpool.
                    .. tada .. it worked.
                    the result of the brew:
                    20200908_174049(1).jpg
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                      Post the image to a hosting site like Imgur, copy the URL and insert it using [img] tags. That's pretty foolproof, and then you don't put strain on the W&A server with images.
                      I tried .. but where I live there's no cell signal - so, id verification doesnt work coz it time out. I used JIGSAW's method - thanks to the guidance it was made clear where I needed to click on.

Comment

Really beautiful beer. And the taste?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                          .. tada .. it worked.
                          the result of the brew:
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]2620[/ATTACH]

Good looking Beer
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Nice and fruity - sweet fruit like pawpaw/stawberries and rich tasting (fuller bodied) like a pale ale - slightly bitter (you'll taste it) @31 IBUs. I like the deep yellow colour.

Comment

I made a similar batch 2x 5gal with same grainbill but with SAB T90 Blend for bittering and SPassion @15min and SPassion flameout then whilspool (took your advise and doubled up on the quantinties). Then dryhopped remaining 75g of SPassion at high krousen. It was this batch that experienced the racking cockup which I posted about beginning this week.

Curious to taste the difference.

Comment

Yup,

Southern Dawn is excellent bittering hops for Pale Ales, just boil for 30 mins. No need to go 60 min.

Comment

Working...
                                X