No announcement yet.

SA hops usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southern Aroma and African Queen in this Blonde Ale. I love SA Hops!

2020-09-10.jpg

Comment

Looks almost the same as mine ! LOL

Comment

Sounds yummy. Now I'm really excited to hear about the racking cockup beer

Comment

Second attempt at the racking cockup was successfull. Lessons learned.
          Thou .. my FG last week, first attempt, was 1.009 .. today it was 1.004. Does that bit of priming sugar dry up beer that much? Perhaps the yeasties (US04) had a second wind and ate up more than designed to do.
          Anyway had a 5 day taster last Saturday of my cockup batch and the extra dry hopping just made this one stand out. Whoo hoo. More hops next time. Moerse chuffed.
          A friend who enjoys craft beers - from all over, was well amazed that I brewed this myself. I'll keep this recipe as a keeper.

Comment

Nice One

Not sure why the gravity went that low tho as the extra priming sugar will just get eaten and put you back to were you were on SG points ... it's not suppose to drop lower.
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Dry hopping can drop the FG in a "completed" beer. It's something called "hop creep".

Comment

Maybe the additional alcohol reduced the gravity. So the residual sugars are the same but the additional alcohol from the priming sugar reduced the gravity. It does seem to be a lot though

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                  Dry hopping can drop the FG in a "completed" beer. It's something called "hop creep".

There was no dry hopping involved ... AFAIK the dry hopping was on the 1st batch ??

Comment

I've had my last batches go below target FG as well, no off flavours, no infection. After the first batch I soaked the fermenter overnight in Sodium Carbonate and gave it a good wash.

Checking my thermometer this weekend and also swopping out my current fermenter with another one. Something's wrong somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
                      I've had my last batches go below target FG as well, no off flavours, no infection. After the first batch I soaked the fermenter overnight in Sodium Carbonate and gave it a good wash.

Checking my thermometer this weekend and also swopping out my current fermenter with another one. Something's wrong somewhere...
                      Sodium carbonate or sodium percarbonate or sodium hydroxide? Mighty big differences there ;-) Get some acidisan to spray on things before adding it to your beer/wort. Or run boiling water over it at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                        Sodium carbonate or sodium percarbonate or sodium hydroxide? Mighty big differences there ;-) Get some acidisan to spray on things before adding it to your beer/wort. Or run boiling water over it at the very least.
                        Sodium Carbonate for washing/ soaking and used Sodium Percarbonate for pre-rinse before wort was added.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                          There was no dry hopping involved ... AFAIK the dry hopping was on the 1st batch ??
                          I think I read his post the other way then. This one ended at 1.004 and he said he dry hopped "this one". Maybe just worded a bit confusing to me

Comment

Yes, the dry hopping was at high krausen on the initial fermentation. Tho after the re-racking, I shook up the fermentors to get the dropped yeast back into suspension, the fermentors both went back into an active fermentation for about 12hrs .. so my thoughts as to the lower FG is that the yeast has eaten the added priming dextrose AND in addition ate through the longer chain sugars (alpha A) as well that would have been left untouched during the first fermentation. Dunno, I'm not an scientist in this field - just from what I've read here and there re alpha B is easier/quicker to digest by yeast and aplpha A takes longer.
                            AlexBrew
                            Last edited by AlexBrew; 15 September 2020, 10:46. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
                              Sodium Carbonate for washing/ soaking and used Sodium Percarbonate for pre-rinse before wort was added.
                              Please don't use Sodium PERcarbonate as a sanitizer

Comment

Please don't use Sodium PERcarbonate as a sanitizer
                                Yeah, trying to get hold of Acidisan/ Starsan in Gauteng is not a simple task...

Comment

Working...
                                X