SafLager S-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SafLager S-23

Just received my delivery from BevPlus. Included was SafLager S-23.
    The doasge of the photo of this yeast states 11.5g in 20 to 30 litres at room temperature, 2 x 11.5g in 20 to 30 litres at 11 - 15 C.
    The packege I recieved states 11.5g in 10 to 15 litres at room temperature, 2 x 11.5g in 10 to 15 litres at 11 - 15 C.

First time using this yeast.
    Anybody ever used this yeast, which is the correct dosage ?, any suggestions.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

I've used it a few times before. It's a good yeast. I pitched one packet at 17°C and slowly lowered the temp over the course of 3 days to 12°C. It finished well enough. It's nicer than S-189 for me.

Comment

I recall my first and only use of this yeast was that it absolutely ripped through fermentation in about 3 - 4 days (about 15 degrees). The beer turned out great!!

Comment

Toxxyc and BackOfMyBrew what size batch did you make.
        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

23lt in fermenter

Comment

Think mine was 21l.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
              I've used it a few times before. It's a good yeast. I pitched one packet at 17°C and slowly lowered the temp over the course of 3 days to 12°C. It finished well enough. It's nicer than S-189 for me.
              Please help..my refrigerator maks temp is 12°C. I am suppose to ferment at 14°C for 7 days after 2 days at 10°C. Can I carry on fermenting for the 7days at 12°C also using SaFLager S-23. Cold crashing then at 2°C?
              Beer.....Because you can't drink bacon!

Comment

@RookieAnto Welcome

To answer the Q, yes you can it might just take a little longer than 7 days.

but why max 12ºC ... you can raise the temp inside with a heat source, like a reptile pad or electric blanket ?
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by RookieAnto View Post
                  Please help..my refrigerator maks temp is 12°C. I am suppose to ferment at 14°C for 7 days after 2 days at 10°C. Can I carry on fermenting for the 7days at 12°C also using SaFLager S-23. Cold crashing then at 2°C?
                  Do you have an STC-1000 temperature controller?

Comment

and a heat source lamp, heatmap/pad, cat or unloved child?

Comment

Originally posted by RookieAnto View Post
                      How are you measuring your temps? .. from the dail inside your fridge? Not accurate enough.
                      Just get a STC1000 temperature controller. Wire the fridge's power to the cooling part of the controller - bit tricky at first (if you're not wired like a sparky). Attach the stc100 temp sensor to your fermentor. I stick mine to the outside of the fermentor with insolation tape. Then programme your stc. If you want to ferment at 14°C, then your fridge will swith off until it reaches say 14.5°C then will swith on again until temps goes down to 13.5, then swith off again .. repeat. You can programme many aspects of the controller. They're fairly cheap. I got mine from a hydrophonics shop for R300.
                      https://hydroponic.co.za/hydroponics...8aAj12EALw_wcB
                      AlexBrew
                      Last edited by AlexBrew; 11 February 2021, 17:09.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                        How are you measuring your temps? .. from the dail inside your fridge? Not accurate enough.
                        Just get a STC1000 temperature controller. Wire the fridge's power to the cooling part of the controller - bit tricky at first (if you're not wired like a sparky). Attach the stc100 temp sensor to your fermentor. I stick mine to the outside of the fermentor with insolation tape. Then programme your stc. If you want to ferment at 14°C, then your fridge will swith off until it reaches say 14.5°C then will swith on again until temps goes down to 13.5, then swith off again .. repeat. You can programme many aspects of the controller. They're fairly cheap. I got mine from a hydrophonics shop for R300.
                        Thanks for the info. So far a glass thermometer inside refrigerator. Temp inside on thermometer and on stick on strip on fermenter the same so far. Dont want to open the door to often.

My question is will 12 or 11 deg be ok to ferment the lager for 7 plus days?

Comment

Rofl. Groenspook you have a way with words.
                          But to the question yes. The packet says min temp is 10 but ive heard 9 and im sure some guys have done lower

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                            Thanks for the info. So far a glass thermometer inside refrigerator. Temp inside on thermometer and on stick on strip on fermenter the same so far. Dont want to open the door to often.

My question is will 12 or 11 deg be ok to ferment the lager for 7 plus days?

Comment

Thanx.. Still. New to this homebrew stuff... Give me petrochemicals and Im ok... 😂
                              Will add a lamp for heating

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                              Rofl. Groenspook you have a way with words.
                              But to the question yes. The packet says min temp is 10 but ive heard 9 and im sure some guys have done lower

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
                              Thanx... My thoughts as well.. 12 is nice in the mean

Comment

Working...
                              X