Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi to all of ya that have forged ahead with this hobbie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi to all of ya that have forged ahead with this hobbie.

I have always wanted to make beer, but being a person that only sleeps at home Monday to Friday, and then generally only goes home to sleep and then wakes to go work or hunting , fishing, diving, racing, boating, I have just never had time to do stuff requiring patience and devotion at home.
    Lock down put a hand break on somethings and gave me a chance to try others.

Although I am not a big drinker of spirits, it is a even older and bigger fascination than brewing to me, and I therefor started out on distilling before brewing, a few months into it all now.
    I did this as it appeared simpler than brewing and a good entry to the hobby of creating alcohol, but not sure what I will do with product - I just wanted to be able to do it.

I have ordered my beer ingredients for the most basic introduction to brewing, a bucket and some stuff in it that I am told will become beer if I read the instructions.

Greetings from me Treeman - Dave

Welcome Treeman (Dave)

Good Luck with that 1st brew once the equipment arrives. Die gogga gaan jou byt
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Welcome to the black hole of hobbies... Be prepared to start forking out vast sums of cash for equipment and ingredients...
      Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

Hi Dave, i dont post but know you from gunsite. If you brew/distill as you hunt then you will make a success of this hobby.
        Maybe try a smash brew for starters....

Comment

StevenD, hi yes, I realize this. I went and bought some buckets too brew, and a hydrometer and a big pot and some mason jars and some sugar etc, came home about R1500 poorer. I then did more research and realized I would need a heater and a temperature gauge and and and ................ I went online and ordered everything R2000 + at wish, still waiting 5 months later,3 months later after getting mad at wish I ordered it all again at Take A Lot and Light House and some other place. (Spares man, a man must have spares). R2000 later on materials I built a still and paid the S/Steel engineer R2300. Enjoyed building still fittings and bought more copper R900.
          Lock down lifted somewhat, and some local Brew shops opened and I chose one to build a relationship with. Day one was R1460. Day 2 R400 odd. Day 3 R1500 odd. Day 4 R400 odd and R9970 start outlay on an out room to brew in. Today I decided to run a heavy amp power supply to brew room and bought a water tank to use as the brew water source from roof(me thinks I am so clever), and today I realized I should use the other side roof as a cleaning water source.
          Went and bought another 200 lids (just in case) and while I was there I realized I might need some more malted barley(just in case) and saw Juniper Berries, this lead too buying Juniper Berries, Coriander, Angelika and Paradise Seeds.
          With all these ingredients I realized I may need more airlocks, so I bought a few.
          I can go no further till room is built. Then I guess I will need a fridge and some temperature control method.
          So yes I understand the endless hole you speak of, it’s the same with the Fly Fishing, Deep Sea, boating and Fly Tying. The reloading and shooting left the same tale of destruction, as did the love of V8s and biking. Hunting just cleans me out most weekends.
          Rich in toys and poor in finances.

I have collected my 3 buckets, with what I learnt is a Pale Ale - Alley Cat makings in it, there is it appears in the bucket, some bird food, icing sugar, a packet of compressed grass cuttings and some yeast.

Me thinks much that me has been taken for a ride
          Hi, yes JDKey, I am a Gunsiter.

Comment

Aaaaah, You're this guy .....

TMM.jpg
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by Treeman View Post
              StevenD, hi yes, I realize this. I went and bought some buckets too brew, and a hydrometer and a big pot and some mason jars and some sugar etc, came home about R1500 poorer. I then did more research and realized I would need a heater and a temperature gauge and and and ................ I went online and ordered everything R2000 + at wish, still waiting 5 months later,3 months later after getting mad at wish I ordered it all again at Take A Lot and Light House and some other place. (Spares man, a man must have spares). R2000 later on materials I built a still and paid the S/Steel engineer R2300. Enjoyed building still fittings and bought more copper R900.
              Lock down lifted somewhat, and some local Brew shops opened and I chose one to build a relationship with. Day one was R1460. Day 2 R400 odd. Day 3 R1500 odd. Day 4 R400 odd and R9970 start outlay on an out room to brew in. Today I decided to run a heavy amp power supply to brew room and bought a water tank to use as the brew water source from roof(me thinks I am so clever), and today I realized I should use the other side roof as a cleaning water source.
              Went and bought another 200 lids (just in case) and while I was there I realized I might need some more malted barley(just in case) and saw Juniper Berries, this lead too buying Juniper Berries, Coriander, Angelika and Paradise Seeds.
              With all these ingredients I realized I may need more airlocks, so I bought a few.
              I can go no further till room is built. Then I guess I will need a fridge and some temperature control method.
              So yes I understand the endless hole you speak of, it’s the same with the Fly Fishing, Deep Sea, boating and Fly Tying. The reloading and shooting left the same tale of destruction, as did the love of V8s and biking. Hunting just cleans me out most weekends.

I have collected my 3 buckets, with what I learnt is a Pale Ale - Alley Cat makings in it, there is it appears in the bucket, some bird food, icing sugar, a packet of compressed grass cuttings and some yeast.

Me thinks much that me has been taken for a ride[emoji38]
              Hi, yes JDKey, I am a Gunsiter.
              This was some lekker reading. But man you are in it to win it! That's definitely not the cheapest way of going at it but someone has to restart the economy. [emoji6]
              From the sound of it you are well setup to make some good bird seed juice.
              Good choice on the pale ale.
              Have fun

Comment

Yep, that sounds about right...

The good thing is that you are pretty much set to do just about anything brew-wise, so now it shouldn't be much more than researching, brewing, experimenting, finding that "sweet spot" that you like. And there are plenty on this forum with good suggestions and knowledge to share. Just shout.
                Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

Fly fishing and tying sure put dents in my wallet over time!
                  Someday I need to find a cheap hobby.

Comment

Landing a largie from a tube floating down the orange is on my bucket list

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                      Vioolsdrift, just before winter last year. Not the biggest, we had better fish at Vanderkloof.

Just do it.. going to go again. We stopped on our way back at “Die Mas” as well [emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
                        Fly fishing and tying sure put dents in my wallet over time!
                        Someday I need to find a cheap hobby.
                        Yes I am very over having everything, the obsession is huge. I have a 1.5 by 1 m size cupboard just for fly tying. My materials are huge, seal fur to dinosaur scales.

Have not tied since Cody was 2 years old - 10 years now, will come around full circle again soon and start again - its hunting deep sea and brewing now, with Cody showing a interest in how motor bikes work.

Comment

@PaBz0r that is still a nice slab of gold! I've been surprised at the muddies in the vaal and obviously the smallies are great but you're right I should just book it and go get a few largies on fly

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                            Sight fishing for Bonefish is more up my alley, salt water fish on fly is amazing.
                            I like freshwater too but mostly trout in winter.

Comment

Yes I am very over having everything, the obsession is huge. I have a 1.5 by 1 m size cupboard just for fly tying. My materials are huge, seal fur to dinosaur scales.

Have not tied since Cody was 2 years old - 10 years now, will come around full circle again soon and start again - its hunting deep sea and brewing now, with Cody showing a interest in how motor bikes work.
                              Life would be easier if you could switch out one hobby for another but its not that simple!
                              Its been a long time since I tied flies though.
                              Im trying really hard to stop watching the kayak fishing videos on youtube, its also something Im pretty keen to get into.

Comment

Working...
                              X