Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Afrimill

Quote Originally Posted by jakeslouw View Post
    86% on Viking with BIAB? No chance.
    @Toxxyc gets 90% and I think he uses BIAB too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but I have a pretty extensive process and go through a lot of effort to get every last drop out of my malt, keep that in mind as well. 86% isn't impossible, specially with a finer crush, it's just slightly uncommon.

I believe you, just FYI.

Hereís the recipe. I just increased everything by 10%
    I see his estimated OG at 75% is 1,05

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Yeah but I have a pretty extensive process and go through a lot of effort to get every last drop out of my malt, keep that in mind as well. 86% isn't impossible, specially with a finer crush, it's just slightly uncommon.

I believe you, just FYI.
    Iíve read your process and I think youíve read mine. My sparging seems to work well, Iíll take a runoff gravity next time. Iím sure the finer crush makes a fair difference too. Iíll have to wait for my next brew (probably a pale ale) to see if I can repeat it. The drawback with my mill is that I take it apart to clean it after use and thereís no way of getting exactly the same crush next time. Iíll just make it quite fine again.

Make marks with a permanent marker along the edges of screws and plates that you take apart when cleaning. Getting a consistent crush is quite important. In fact, I wouldn't even clean the mill between uses just to keep the crush consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Make marks with a permanent marker along the edges of screws and plates that you take apart when cleaning. Getting a consistent crush is quite important. In fact, I wouldn't even clean the mill between uses just to keep the crush consistent.
    Good suggestion. Thanks

Itís still very green and not properly carbonated but it sure is tasty. One of my favourite brews to date. And cheap considering no speciality malts and a moderate amount of hops. Iíll definitely brew this recipe again.

Now you can do the same SMaSH recipe by just substituting the hops with something else with the same IBU per hop addition. That's what I did when I started AG brewing. To this day SMaSH brews are still my favourite
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Now you can do the same SMaSH recipe by just substituting the hops with something else with the same IBU per hop addition. That's what I did when I started AG brewing. To this day SMaSH brews are still my favourite
    I bought cascade in bulk but I have a few other varieties in the freezer. Iíll see if thereís anything that matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouter View Post
    I bought cascade in bulk but I have a few other varieties in the freezer. I’ll see if there’s anything that matches.

It doesn't have to match ....
    ANY hop will work ... even if the AA% is higher or lower than Cascade .... That's why I said, you change the amount of hops to match the IBU of the original message
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!