Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Afrimill

Afrimill

In order to brew more economically; I’ve been hunting for a mill so I can buy grain in bulk and mill it myself. Probably due to Covid-19 no one had stock of the more affordable, ironically named Corona type mills. Bevplus has one from Brewferm but their website doesn’t offer a description. I then put my name on a waiting list at thequartermaster.co.za who said they’ll get stock Aug/Sept “sometime”.

Getting impatient; I searched the www again on Tuesday, and saw that Beerlab had a Corona type called Afrimill. All I could find out about it on afritrac.co.za, which appears to be the supplier, was that it seems to be a local product which could “crush maize into course maize meal and fine maize meal”.

I ordered one on Tuesday and it was delivered yesterday. It looks like quite a sturdy product and comes with a plastic guard to prevent bits flying everywhere. I tried it last night and with some elbow grease it worked great. I crushed fairly fine for better efficiency with BIAB and will brew this coming weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been looking at this myself! I hope the brewing works out. How long did it take you to mill? What size was the grain bill? Was the crush consistent? Do you think a cheapie R300 power drill could handle the load?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

It';s not about the load, it's about the speed. I'd get a drill with a geared speed reducer. Not with voltage (that lets the motor run slower). You want full motor speed, but slower chuck speed. That'll work well.

low torque

They only grind a few grains at a time so low torque like Spook says, but slow going.
    I used my oumas one once, and it was so old and blunt I think it 'frictioned' the grain rather than 'grinding' it

Any drill should do it. Just keep an eye on the air temp coming out the drill, especially if its a cheapy
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Quote Originally Posted by johncoram89 View Post
    I have been looking at this myself! I hope the brewing works out. How long did it take you to mill? What size was the grain bill? Was the crush consistent? Do you think a cheapie R300 power drill could handle the load?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    5kg took me about half an hour but my toddlers wanted to help so that slowed me down. The crush was consistent. Once you have the desired crush by adjusting the bracket with two wing nuts, it has a locking bolt with its own wing nut so the outer grinding plate can’t wiggle loose to make the crush courser. I’m very happy with the purchase and Beerlab’s service was great.
    I’ve seen YouTube videos of guys using drills to take the hard work out of it, but with my BIAB setup my biggest grain bill is 6,5kg and I need the exercise. For a fine grind like I did, your drill would need some torque. For a courser grind obviously not so much. Won’t overheating be an issue?

Been using a corona mill for a 3 years and it works great. Looks basically the same as Mouter's.
    I usually mill arounc 5 - 6.5kg by hand (as per Mouter for exercise).
    I mill quite fine as I do BIAB.
    The mill is made from cast iron. I have taken it apart a few times to clean, last time I cleaned there was no wear on the grinding plates.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Took me 20 min to mill 4,4kg last night. Milled fairly fine for BIAB this morning. Got 86% brew house efficiency on my first SMaSH.
    4,4kg Czech pale malt
    30g Cascade @ 60min
    15g Cascade @ 30min
    15g Cascade @ 15min
    15g Cascade @ 1min
    15g Cascade @ 7 days
    OG 1,053
    22l into fermenter excluding trub
    Interested in seeing how this brew turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouter View Post
    Took me 20 min to mill 4,4kg last night. Milled fairly fine for BIAB this morning. Got 86% brew house efficiency on my first SMaSH.
    4,4kg Czech pale malt
    30g Cascade @ 60min
    15g Cascade @ 30min
    15g Cascade @ 15min
    15g Cascade @ 1min
    15g Cascade @ 7 days
    OG 1,053
    22l into fermenter excluding trub
    Interested in seeing how this brew turns out.
    You sure BH efficiency and not Mash efficiency ? It's not everyday you see someone get a high number like that on BH Eff
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Yeah my BH efficiency is set to 66% I get up to 70 sometimes. But nowhere close to 80. Not impossible but difficult

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk