• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
    86% on Viking with BIAB? No chance.
    @Toxxyc gets 90% and I think he uses BIAB too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah but I have a pretty extensive process and go through a lot of effort to get every last drop out of my malt, keep that in mind as well. 86% isn't impossible, specially with a finer crush, it's just slightly uncommon.

I believe you, just FYI.

Comment

Here’s the recipe. I just increased everything by 10%
        I see his estimated OG at 75% is 1,05

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
          Yeah but I have a pretty extensive process and go through a lot of effort to get every last drop out of my malt, keep that in mind as well. 86% isn't impossible, specially with a finer crush, it's just slightly uncommon.

I believe you, just FYI.
          I’ve read your process and I think you’ve read mine. My sparging seems to work well, I’ll take a runoff gravity next time. I’m sure the finer crush makes a fair difference too. I’ll have to wait for my next brew (probably a pale ale) to see if I can repeat it. The drawback with my mill is that I take it apart to clean it after use and there’s no way of getting exactly the same crush next time. I’ll just make it quite fine again.

Comment

Make marks with a permanent marker along the edges of screws and plates that you take apart when cleaning. Getting a consistent crush is quite important. In fact, I wouldn't even clean the mill between uses just to keep the crush consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
              Make marks with a permanent marker along the edges of screws and plates that you take apart when cleaning. Getting a consistent crush is quite important. In fact, I wouldn't even clean the mill between uses just to keep the crush consistent.
              Good suggestion. Thanks

Comment

It’s still very green and not properly carbonated but it sure is tasty. One of my favourite brews to date. And cheap considering no speciality malts and a moderate amount of hops. I’ll definitely brew this recipe again.

Comment

Now you can do the same SMaSH recipe by just substituting the hops with something else with the same IBU per hop addition. That's what I did when I started AG brewing. To this day SMaSH brews are still my favourite
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                    Now you can do the same SMaSH recipe by just substituting the hops with something else with the same IBU per hop addition. That's what I did when I started AG brewing. To this day SMaSH brews are still my favourite
                    I bought cascade in bulk but I have a few other varieties in the freezer. I’ll see if there’s anything that matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Mouter View Post
                      I bought cascade in bulk but I have a few other varieties in the freezer. I’ll see if there’s anything that matches.

It doesn't have to match ....
                      ANY hop will work ... even if the AA% is higher or lower than Cascade .... That's why I said, you change the amount of hops to match the IBU of the original message
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                        It doesn't have to match ....
                        ANY hop will work ... even if the AA% is higher or lower than Cascade .... That's why I said, you change the amount of hops to match the IBU of the original message
                        Aha. Thanks!

Comment

Has anyone been using one for awhile? I'm considering getting a basic mill

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

Comment

I have with Biab, got it on black friday for R350. Google corona junk mod for some mods to help it work better. If its close too 1K rather just spend the extra and get a proper roller mill.

It works fine for my purposes

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                              I have with Biab, got it on black friday for R350. Google corona junk mod for some mods to help it work better. If its close too 1K rather just spend the extra and get a proper roller mill.

It works fine for my purposes
                              Thats a really really good price.
                              It is R1k but I feel my requirement is also quite small. I'm currently doing 5kg batches max.

The roller mills are so expensive and the ROI is mainly petrol and time to pick up ingredients which comes in at 20 batches. I'm not so keen to stretch it to 50

Are you hand cranking it? How long does it take you?

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

Comment

Fair enough at the 1k I would try and push for the 2k odd for a roller mill, but I get getting started is expensive.

I threaded a bolt and run it via n shitty 12v drill it over heats on the second fill of the hopper, I then hand crank takes about 20mins all done. I crush between 7-9kg grains.

Its pretty quick and the crush is nice and fine.

Fyi the main ROI for me is consistency of crush which translates to consistency in my recipe.

Comment

Working...
                                X