Malts compacted in mash

Hey people!

Brew # 8 on the menu today but some confusion in town.
    I'm using 4.7kg pale malt and 235g caramel pils.

I've brewed this recipe 4 times now and never before have I battled with the mash.
    I brew with the GF so those that know it will know the one loosely puts the top sieve on and then the GF recirculates.
    Almost no mash water circulates through the grain and 90% goes into the overflow.
    It's normally been the other way around.

I stopped the mash halfway and quickly loosened up the grain, only for it to compact again.

It could be the milling but I must discount that as I bought quite a bit of grain and this is still part of my stock.

What say the wise people?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I've seen a few YT videos were guys struggle like that with the GF ... some of these brewers now opt to add rice hulls to all their brews to aid with the mash and circulation. I see a few of them also don't use the top screen.

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    I've seen a few YT videos were guys struggle like that with the GF ... some of these brewers now opt to add rice hulls to all their brews to aid with the mash and circulation. I see a few of them also don't use the top screen.

Also seen the same thing. It seems with a GF if you stir too deep in mashing then you end up with it getting stuck.
    Its also possible the crush was too fine on the malts.

Im a noob at this but I have watched at least 50+ brews online, still doesnt mean I actually know anything though

That's interesting.
    I normally do not stir the mash.. only the sparge.
    The only other thing that has changed, ever - is that this is the first time I used normal plot borehole water, not my normal RO water but surely that cannot make a difference?

As you keep on emptying a bag of premilled grains you start hitting powder or finer milled pieces, that would be the most likely reason for the stuck mash. I vigorously stir every 15 min, I dont use the overflow pipe function and consistently hit 80% efficiency

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

I've only seen a stuck or compacted mash on the GF when brewing with high amounts of sorghum or wheat.

So the amount of glutens might also have an impact. In this case, I must agree, the grain was maybe milled too fine?

Quote Originally Posted by jakeslouw View Post
    In this case, I must agree, the grain was maybe milled too fine?
    I'm tending to agree.
    I still have one batch of the same milled malt left and also a new one.
    I will compare and see if this sheds any light.

The wort tastes nice and not entirely clear, so in my amateur opinion on par with my previous batches.
    Measured 1.044 after the boil so things looks ok thus far.