is Oxygenation useful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is Oxygenation useful?

I've been reading up on general yeast health and it seems like the 4 main parts to a healthy ferment is
    1. pitching rate
    2. oxygenation
    3. temperature control
    4. yeast nutrients

in your experience how important is oxygenation, and if it is do you oxygenate or use an aquarium bubbler.

to give you some context on how confused I am about this, I read an article the other day that a drop of olive oil can replace oxygenation as it supplies yeast with the fatty acids needed to build strong cell walls.

propogation occurs aerobically, fermentation occurs anaerobically. if your oxygenate your wort, you ensure propagation before fermentation. this is helpful is your yeast is old or you pitch too little. efficient fermentation has a temperature band in which certain yeast performs best. nutrients are helpful if you have a high og and questionable yeast health or simple sugar environments. you forgot to worry about ph. olive oil will kill your head, iirc that was busted, althought the lipids fell in the nutrient box, can't recall the details and not keen to google.

i'd avoid a bubbler and concentrate on pitching rate and yeast health (incl ph)

Comment

+1 to what groen said.

I just give my wort a nice vigorous stir ensuring it foams up nicely, then I pitch.
      That being said I have read somewhere that dry yeasts don't need oxygen when pitching, It's more the liquid yeasts that do.

Comment

I for one have never oxygenated wort and I've had zero fermentation issues (dry yeast).

And I do no-chill in the fermenter, so pitching occurs 18 hours after I add the hot wort to my fermenter.

Comment

Well Spook summed it up pretty well.

My view from what i have learnt is that it will work without oxygenating, but the aerobic theory seems to say it's good to oxygenated. So I always try and splash it around in some way manner or form. It costs nothing and it might make my beer better
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
            I've been reading up on general yeast health and it seems like the 4 main parts to a healthy ferment is
            1. pitching rate = Never Used
            2. oxygenation = Never Done
            3. temperature control = Definitely a must
            4. yeast nutrients = Never Used (was not necessary yet)

in your experience how important is oxygenation, and if it is do you oxygenate or use an aquarium bubbler.

to give you some context on how confused I am about this, I read an article the other day that a drop of olive oil can replace oxygenation as it supplies yeast with the fatty acids needed to build strong cell walls.
            That article is false - The myth was busted

PS: Welcome Jitters

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Awesome thanks lads, it's super difficult to figure out what is really important and what's just fluff. I'll skip the oxygenation and focus on getting the temperature in check.

Thanks for the welcome, there is a lot to learn and figure out.

Comment

I don't oxygenate ever, I just pour from the cube into the fermenter half way, pitch yeast and pour in the rest of the wort. No stirring- nothing

Comment

Working...
                X