DIY bench bottle capper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY bench bottle capper

So in addition to a brewing addiction, which means I can do no wrong according to my neighbors, it seems I am developing a bit of a habit when it comes to building kit.

The latest efforts involve building a DIY bench capper.

Prototype 1 was made of wood and is bulky and not portable and didn't get much further than a couple of mock-ups.
    Prototype 2 required welding and has been put on the back burner. My beginner welding needs lots of grinding and my neighbors can only handle so much...

Prototype 3, while also metal relies more on modifying tools and very basic (drill and cut) modifications.

Partially lost a few beers during testing the various prototypes.

Let me know if you would like photos of any of these.

How can you not share them photos
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
      How can you not share them photos
      ^ What Jigsaw said!!
      Pics or it didnt happen

Comment

Prototype 1 (Wood)

Basically a long lever pushes a piece of wood moving either the bottle or the capper within a frame.

Mock up:
        IMG-20200901-WA0008.jpg

Mock-up testing (accident scene
        signal-2020-09-05-230357.jpg

Comment

Prototype 2
          Steel that involves welding.
          Basically this is just a manual build of a height adjustable bench capper:

signal-2020-09-06-120009.jpg

Please note beers remained closed until work ceased. Power tools and alcohol are a dangerous combination.

You put it together and end up with this:

signal-2020-09-09-184316.jpg

Pieces of wood standing in for beer bottles.

Figured out that a base that prevents the capper from moving upwards, as the bottle resists the pressure applied to it, is very necessary.

Also had an accident or two here during testing.

This was showing positive signs, i.e., of working, but the amount of fabrication time was ridiculous. I would chalk most of that up to my welding and figuring out how to build it as I went.
          smitty
          Last edited by smitty; 12 September 2020, 10:16. Reason: typo

Comment

me thinks you must remain on the couch

Comment

Methinks you should pay a visit to your local HB store and get a capper like the Emily model...

Kudos for trying to make your own though. I would have given up a long time ago...
              Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

me thinks you must remain on the couch

Comment

Well there is always the prototype number 3. Which capped 100 bottles today. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by smitty View Post
                    Well there is always the prototype number 3. Which capped 100 bottles today. ;-)

Pics or it didn't happen

Comment

Pics or it didn't happen
                      Fair enough.

Prototype 3. (Modifying existing tools with basic actions).

Starting to be able to function as a capper:
                      signal-2020-09-11-100310.jpg

With wooden base to stop the bottles falling off. At this point functional with the ability to cap bottles reliably and with not too much fiddling.

signal-2020-09-11-142014.jpg

Features:
                      • Height adjustable.
                      • Fairly lightweight (there is still a lot of steel in there).
                      • Collapsible for storage

It still needs a few minor tweaks to get rid of a few rough edges:
                      • A capper head that I can screw onto the plunge.
                      • Better height locking mechanism
                      • Trimming down bolts and rounding off a couple of corners that get stuck

Comment

The bottles caps end up crimped like this:

IMG_20200912_114509.jpg

Comment

Prototype 3. (Modifying existing tools with basic actions).

Starting to be able to function as a capper:
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]2626[/ATTACH].
                          That is some pretty inspired thinking right there. Legendary.

I have seen guys using drill presses for capping before too, just don't know how much continuous axial loading a drill press can really handle.

PS. And you taught me about the List function, thanks!
                          Langchop
                          Last edited by Langchop; 12 September 2020, 13:09.
                          Cheers,
                          Lang
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                            That is some pretty inspired thinking right there. Legendary.

I have seen guys using drill presses for capping before too, just don't know how much continuous axial loading a drill press can really handle.

PS. And you taught me about the List function, thanks!
                            I hear you on the drill press loading. Clamps are made to exert and handle those forces.

Bear in mind this thinking started (other projects had priority for actual building) during prohibition. I never really wanted a hand or a hammer capper. But all the bench cappers were sold out and even after prohibition ended they have not ended up for sale second hand. Even though they are back in stock now, the ball had already started rolling.

I decided to put all three designs here because they can all be made to work and depending on what materials and tools you have available, one of them can work for you.

Credit for ideas mostly belongs to the following sources after searching for DIY bench capper. I say mostly because just about anyone who has seen a press for bearings or drills can see the possibilities.

Prototype 1:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mC20Hl0C_A

Prototype 2:
                            https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads...-capper.26795/

Prototype 3:
                            https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads...r.26795/page-2

Comment

I didn't even know DIY cappers was a thing

Comment

Working...
                              X