Ugggh, No Whirlfloc or Irish moss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugggh, No Whirlfloc or Irish moss

Guess I'm about to see tomorrow what an Ale turns out like without Whirlfloc

Didn't use it in my first 2 AG brews and i think they came out fine.

I'm not getting worried about clarity just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
      Guess I'm about to see tomorrow what an Ale turns out like without Whirlfloc
      you dont need it

Comment

I stopped using any of those fining ingredients during the boil. ... big waste of money in my eyes

If I remember, I add gelatin to the keg, otherwise i just dont care ... hazy beer = yummy beer
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Dont use any finning at all myself. Beer clears well after 2 to 3 weeks. But never as crystal clear as @Harhm . His beers always look like it was filtered. You can see his neighbors house through them. They look delicious.

Comment

Not needed, clarity does not impact on the taste, just visual senses.
            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Sometimes I use irish moss. Sometimes I use gelatin. Sometimes I don't. I'm at the point where I think I can start tasting a cloudy beer vs a clear beer, but I'm still not convinced. I want to do a side-by-side sometime soon. However, I'm still inclined to say it's no matter.

Comment

another 2c; If you're so inclined, boil water and add some irish moss, whirlfloc or other "additives" to a cup, taste it. ask yourself, why would i want this in my beer?

i refrain from adding anything other than hops on the hotside, you can achieve great results with cold side finings and cold crash duration.

Comment

A light sprinkling of gelatin into the fermenter works.

Some people use dry gelatin powder, others hydrate it using boiling water: test and see what works for you.

No, it doesn't add flavour. Yes, it drops out of suspension.

And if you let the beer condition for long enough, it will mostly settle out in the bottle anyway. Just be careful of the sludge when you pour......

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                    A light sprinkling of gelatin into the fermenter works.

Some people use dry gelatin powder, others hydrate it using boiling water: test and see what works for you.

No, it doesn't add flavour. Yes, it drops out of suspension.

And if you let the beer condition for long enough, it will mostly settle out in the bottle anyway. Just be careful of the sludge when you pour......
                    Gelatine was described fairly often as "liquid time" when I was doing research on how to use it.
                    Same thing will happen without using it but it definitely takes longer.
                    Gelatine is negatively charged where the particulate is positively charged so it attracts everything to itself, gets heavy and sinks to the bottom.

Comment

5-10g granules in a cup, fill 50% boiling water, dissolve, add 50% preboiled and cooled water (or just nuke it in the microwave) add to coldcrashed beer - 2 day okay results. 4 days better etc etc

Comment

Working...
                      X