Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I've frozen my beer in a chest freezer before. Forgot to turn it off. Days before the STC-1000. Turned out fine

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I've frozen my beer in a chest freezer before. Forgot to turn it off. Days before the STC-1000. Turned out fine
    Im almost surprised you didnt do it on purpose just to see what would happen!!

Quote Originally Posted by jakeslouw View Post
    most modern chest freezers have an adjustable thermostat and beer does not freeze at zero degrees due to the alcohol content

<>
    I have a Veri-freeze chest freezer like that ... Will never trust that function ever again ... set mine to Chiller mode during lockdown as an emergency fridge ... The POS froze up on me

From now on will never use any freezer WITHOUT my own control in fridge mode
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    I have a Veri-freeze chest freezer like that ... Will never trust that function ever again ... set mine to Chiller mode during lockdown as an emergency fridge ... The POS froze up on me

From now on will never use any freezer WITHOUT my own control in fridge mode
    stcs are cheap and useful, i have a few in use and some spare ones, even made a sous vide using a crockpot and it works well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    stcs are cheap and useful, i have a few in use and some spare ones, even made a sous vide using a crockpot and it works well enough.
    That they are, Im planning on a diy solution for temp control though. The software should be fairly easy to run on an ESP32 with a dual relay and DS18B20 for temp reading.
    I will probably integrate it into my home automation platform so I can just run automations to keep the temp in check. The nice thing about doing it like that is being able to check or adjust temp from anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
    Im almost surprised you didnt do it on purpose just to see what would happen!!
    Some high gravity beers are frozen on purpose and the beer decanted from the water-ice.
    Same with some wines.
    Intensifies the flavour and increases ABV.

Some high gravity beers are frozen on purpose and the beer decanted from the water-ice.
    Same with some wines.
    Intensifies the flavour and increases ABV.

freeze distillation - doesn't remove methanol though

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    freeze distillation - doesn't remove methanol though
    well of course

well of course
    i have to state the obvious - 'some' people dont know better ;-)

Must I build a wort chiller first or build a fermentation fridge first?

I can already chill the wort in less than hour using an ice bath. I could even use the no-chill method.

I read that controlling the fermentation temperature is game changer!

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk