X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prime, bottle and wait 2 weeks. You may yet be surprised

Comment

Originally posted by Treeman View Post
      As I mentioned, everything is a first for me at moment.
      I siphoned of out the bucket, and into a easier container to work with, a clear water container.
      The wort is very cloudy and looks like dirty water?
      It has no un-pleasnatries in or on it.
      It smell like old stale beer, not bad or rotten - pretty much like a men's pub or a glass of beer left on table over night.
      It tastes like flat old beer, with a strong bitter end note. It does not create the "uhg thats gross" reaction, nor does it make you wish for more - I assume thats just warm flat beer ??
      Do I bottle this brown stuff or wait for it to settle further first?
      It is not very appealing to look at.
      Stop fretting. It is not ready yet. :-)

Beer does not have to be clear to taste and smell great. There are a number of ways to get the beer clearer but they mostly revolve around getting the bits in suspension to drop out (e.g., cooling or fining agents) and then not siphoning or pouring the trub into your next step whether that be your fermentation vessel, bottling bucket or bottle.

Keep everything sanitized after the the boil. You do not want accidentally sour beer from a bacterial infection.

Give it time. Green beer (prior to bottle conditioning) really does not taste that great. It needs at least a week, and preferably two, after fermentation has finished. This is also where the bubbles get created from the priming sugar and these will also improve the beer.

Comment

Pretty much answered by the old timers, but we cold crash in the primary fermenter then siphon off after a week or so.
        Why? Well, the less oxygen you introduce to fermented wort, the better, and while professional breweries have the capability to purge a bright beer tank with CO2 and transfer using CO2 pressurisation of the primary conical, we don't.

It just makes more sense to put your 25L fermenter in a chest freezer for a week..........

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
          It just makes more sense to put your 25L fermenter in a chest freezer for a week..........
          Surely it would freeze in a chest freezer?
          Or are you meaning a freezer with an STC-1000 attached?
          I havent cold crashed because the only space I have big enough is a chest freezer but its at -14c so probably not going to work very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
            Surely it would freeze in a chest freezer?
            Or are you meaning a freezer with an STC-1000 attached?
            I havent cold crashed because the only space I have big enough is a chest freezer but its at -14c so probably not going to work very well.
            most modern chest freezers have an adjustable thermostat and beer does not freeze at zero degrees due to the alcohol content

If no thermostat, then yes, an STC1000 with the probe at the bottom of the freezer. Set it to 1 deg C to be safe as the freezer system will have some lag which means you could hit -3 even if the STC has switched it off.

Comment

I've frozen my beer in a chest freezer before. Forgot to turn it off. Days before the STC-1000. Turned out fine

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                I've frozen my beer in a chest freezer before. Forgot to turn it off. Days before the STC-1000. Turned out fine
                Im almost surprised you didnt do it on purpose just to see what would happen!!

Comment

most modern chest freezers have an adjustable thermostat and beer does not freeze at zero degrees due to the alcohol content

<>
                  I have a Veri-freeze chest freezer like that ... Will never trust that function ever again ... set mine to Chiller mode during lockdown as an emergency fridge ... The POS froze up on me

From now on will never use any freezer WITHOUT my own control in fridge mode
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                    I have a Veri-freeze chest freezer like that ... Will never trust that function ever again ... set mine to Chiller mode during lockdown as an emergency fridge ... The POS froze up on me

From now on will never use any freezer WITHOUT my own control in fridge mode
                    stcs are cheap and useful, i have a few in use and some spare ones, even made a sous vide using a crockpot and it works well enough.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                      stcs are cheap and useful, i have a few in use and some spare ones, even made a sous vide using a crockpot and it works well enough.
                      That they are, Im planning on a diy solution for temp control though. The software should be fairly easy to run on an ESP32 with a dual relay and DS18B20 for temp reading.
                      I will probably integrate it into my home automation platform so I can just run automations to keep the temp in check. The nice thing about doing it like that is being able to check or adjust temp from anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
                        Im almost surprised you didnt do it on purpose just to see what would happen!!
                        Some high gravity beers are frozen on purpose and the beer decanted from the water-ice.
                        Same with some wines.
                        Intensifies the flavour and increases ABV.

Comment

Some high gravity beers are frozen on purpose and the beer decanted from the water-ice.
                          Same with some wines.
                          Intensifies the flavour and increases ABV.

freeze distillation - doesn't remove methanol though

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                            freeze distillation - doesn't remove methanol though
                            well of course

Comment

well of course
                              i have to state the obvious - 'some' people dont know better ;-)

Comment

Must I build a wort chiller first or build a fermentation fridge first?

I can already chill the wort in less than hour using an ice bath. I could even use the no-chill method.

I read that controlling the fermentation temperature is game changer!

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X