No announcement yet.

Newby question - (first of many)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long has it been in your bottle? If say more than 3 days , open one. If it goes pssst you can guess the others are fine, if not then reprime them and recap them.
    If you allowed for the co2 to escape in the open air, chances are there's no carbonation going on inside the bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
      Wash? ... You mean wort?

That priming sugar you added was probably turned into more alcohol that extra day you waited. Changes are great it will not carbonate
      I meant wash as in fermented wort before carbonation. Or carbonated beer. [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
        How long has it been in your bottle? If say more than 3 days , open one. If it goes pssst you can guess the others are fine, if not then reprime them and recap them.
        If you allowed for the co2 to escape in the open air, chances are there's no carbonation going on inside the bottle.
        It's only been 1 day since bottling. Thank you for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
          Open them up and add some sugar directly to the bottle.
          Use the below calculator to figure out how much to add
          http://www.aussiehomebrewing.com/Alc...alculator.html it allows you to easily calculate per bottle, Otherwise buy carb drops from the LHBS and just chuck them into each bottle.
          Thank you. I will do this after 3 days

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBread View Post
            I meant wash as in fermented wort before carbonation. Or carbonated beer. [emoji846]

by all accounts, its already beer.

Comment

Originally posted by CaPunT View Post
              by all accounts, its already beer.
              Don't distillers call it a wash? [emoji848]

Comment

Nope, wort is mashed malts with hops, once this ferments its glorious beer, green and flat but beer nonetheless

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

You need to distill it to call it a wash, beer is not distilled!! Closest thing to distilled beer is whiskey I think. Don know anything about distlling so ignore me, if I'm wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                    You need to distill it to call it a wash, beer is not distilled!! Closest thing to distilled beer is whiskey I think. Don know anything about distlling so ignore me, if I'm wrong
                    remove the hops, increase the og and ferment and run that in an alembic still a few times = whisky ( with or withuot the speciality malts/adjuncts )

Comment

Thank you bros.

I tested a couple of bottles and they all had a "tsssssss" when I opened them.

[emoji39] I had a nice time "testing" them

Comment

cool.jpg
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Thank you bros.

I tested a couple of bottles and they all had a "tsssssss" when I opened them.

[emoji39] I had a nice time "testing" them

Great. And? ... did it pour a nice head?
                          So it turned out fine... as it usually does.
                          You'll find that primed bottled beer is good at 2 weeks in.

Comment

My second batch of beer is done, the one that stopped fermenting at a high FG, at two weeks.
                            My mentors suggested a kg extra malt extract be added and it worked.

At 3 weeks of being bottled, I would swear I created a Guinness, it smells like, tastes like and looks like GUINNESS. Beautiful caramel colored head.
                            Is this possible? Was a Pale Ale to start with, became a rescue in the end.
                            Next question. I am a old drinker, I can generally tell you how much I have drank by how I feel, with seeing the bottles (joke - for discription).
                            I drink two quarts every night and may have 3 if the company is good, I know 2/3 quarts and affect rather well.
                            3 of these beers are rather inebriating, surprisingly so, I really had enough sensibly on two quarts as apposed to my usual 3 for the "thats enough for you Dave " feeling.
                            What is the alcohol content I could have accidentally reached? - they really are strong.

Lastly 3 of them = a hang over, something I have not had in years. Strong beer or bad stuff in beer?
                            I would describe this as a big beer, big in every way, almost too much, almost like too much Oros in your mix, I feel I could add water and it would be better, dilute it a bit.

Can the pro's tell me what happened here?

Comment

Beer doesn't have something called wash. Wash is a distillation term. In short, before you add the yeast, it's called wort. The second you add yeast, it's called beer.

Comment

Chances are you didn't create a Guinness, specially if you started with a pale ale. Guinness is a stout - and the ones we get in cans in SA is a rather weak stout at that.

Regarding the alcohol content - impossible to say without hydrometer readings, or at the very least, a complete recipe and procedure of how you made the beer. I've found that many homebrewers completely overestimate their own brews though. I've also had people tell my my beer makes them drunker quicker, it must be really strong. Then I say it's around the 4.5% ~ 4.8% mark and they're quite surprised.

And no, there's no such thing as "brandy alcohol makes me drunk faster than whisky alcohol" and stuff like that. It's all the same alcohol. Some you just drink faster, more of, or it's all in the mind.

Comment

Working...
                                X