Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    Sorry, yes. I was off on a tangent.
    But while on a tangent... As a student I had a teetotaller year where I went out with mates and just drank softdrinks, mostly matching them drink for drink. I felt more crap from having 5 cokes than having 5 beers.
    Beer is natural, coke is cr@p

I've not distilled myself .. but watched a lot of George's Barley & Hops brewing youtube videos where there are a couple of videos about 'what you need to know about methanol' - basically all fruit based distilates produce a lot of methanol (something to do with the fruit skins) - which as we know is not good for human consumption. Whereas grain and sugar washes don't... or are way less. Therefor vodkas and whiskeys are better than brandys wrt to hangover - same applies to beer and wine/ciders. .. and when it comes to sugar content .. in your body what goes up must come down, usually the next morning you feel the affects.

Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    I did/do believe that too, but actually there was some interesting documentary I saw on Netflix that 'proved' clear spirits (vodka) generally give less hangover symptoms that darker spirits (rum) for some very over my head chemical science reasons.
    Just going through this thread again and this caught my eye.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all spirits are clear when distilled, including rum. Aged white rum is filtered clear after aging in barrels to remove everything from what I've seen and read.

Been reading a lot about the different rums from all around the world and find it very interesting how the different regions have their rules about how it must be made and what may or may not be used. Anyway, just wanted give my 2c worth
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    Still learning, please be patient, I've had a few.
    Constructive criticism welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by RudiC View Post
    Just going through this thread again and this caught my eye.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all spirits are clear when distilled, including rum. Aged white rum is filtered clear after aging in barrels to remove everything from what I've seen and read.

Been reading a lot about the different rums from all around the world and find it very interesting how the different regions have their rules about how it must be made and what may or may not be used. Anyway, just wanted give my 2c worth
    If you distill it, it comes out clear. If it is not clear something went wrong.
    Colour comes from either wood or fruit or by adding food coloring to the clear distilled alcohol.

Sent from my ART-L29 using Tapatalk
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

I had 3 pineapples going begging (started with 10), became obvious we were not going to get them down before they went off.
    So having a still I I put 1.5 pine apples in each 20 lt bucket and 3.5 Kg suger to help it along. This is now bubbling happily.
    A bit surprised as I thought I may battle with P/Apple.

Question is, when this lot has fermented, what do I make with it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Treeman View Post
    I had 3 pineapples going begging (started with 10), became obvious we were not going to get them down before they went off.
    So having a still I I put 1.5 pine apples in each 20 lt bucket and 3.5 Kg suger to help it along. This is now bubbling happily.
    A bit surprised as I thought I may battle with P/Apple.

Question is, when this lot has fermented, what do I make with it ?
    Stook it and make mampoer? Otherwise that sounds like lockdown beer without enough pineapple.

For someone starting the AG journey, how do you find something to brew that you'd like? May seem like a weird question but hear me out. I get pulling recipes off the net and making them... but 20l batches can be expensive in both time and money if it's not to your liking.

Is making smaller batches the answer; although that still seems like a lot of time/work for just a "taster".

Maybe a tasting afternoon somewhere? Any recommendations in the JHB area... but will they share the recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by BruHaha View Post
    For someone starting the AG journey, how do you find something to brew that you'd like? May seem like a weird question but hear me out. I get pulling recipes off the net and making them... but 20l batches can be expensive in both time and money if it's not to your liking.

Is making smaller batches the answer; although that still seems like a lot of time/work for just a "taster".

Maybe a tasting afternoon somewhere? Any recommendations in the JHB area... but will they share the recipe?
    An option is joining a homebrew club. Someone will have something interesting to taste.
    Going to tastings work, so does drinking craft beer. You probably won't get the exact recipe but when you know what the style tastes like it is easy to play with it.
    Option c - base wort, dry hop small batches with different hops, use different yeast ect.

Sent from my TS_M105B using Tapatalk
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

I had the same question a while back. And one of the guys, either Jakes or jigsaw gave me great advice. And im just passing it on.

Start with a few blondes.

1) easy drinking not too much flavor (read not a hop bomb) so everyone from a castle to an Aeger drinker can enjoy it.
    2) it will show you what you're doing wrong, there isnt big flavors to hide errors behind.
    - mash to hot. You'll taste it! etc.
    This will make you a better brewer overnight.
    3 batches in and you can brew whatever you want.

As a PS. Some guys will disagree with me but the style guides overlap so much if you just add a bit of dry hop to a blonde you have a Pale ale. And that is most peoples go to brew for years

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice!