Newby question - (first of many)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newby question - (first of many)

My first brew is nearing end of fermentation. When it stops completely, what do I do.
    I hear of secondary fermentation ???
    Cold crashing. Which is first to do?

I thought I siphon of into a bucket and then settle again and then bottle ?
    I had lots of coaching about the brewing, but just realized no one speaks of what happens when the bubbles stop.

From a noob, I crash as is and rack to a secondary the day I bottle.

Comment

Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
      From a noob, I crash as is and rack to a secondary the day I bottle.
      Is the secondary in the bottle?
      I thought it took place after the original and before the bottling.

Comment

Newby question - (first of many)

No. I use another bucket with a tap which I rack to, then bottle from there. So you leave all the trub behind in the fermentor
        PaBz0r
        Last edited by PaBz0r; 11 September 2020, 21:31.

Comment

No. I use another bucket with a tap which I rack to, then bottle from there. So you leave all the trub behind in the fermentor
          Got it, going away tomorrow and when I get back it will be like over due.
          ASking because no time to learn when I get back.

Comment

Secondary is a waste, except if you're adding fruit. crash and fine in primary, she'll be right

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Jip and prime in the fermenter stir and let sit for 5 min and bottle STRAIGHT. If you have a tap at the bottom to attach the bottling wand to.

Bonus hint. Buy 1 -1.5m of silicon hose to put between the tap and wand and you can bottle into the bottle crate.

Comment

From a Noob it's probably good to put in a secondary fermenter and crash however I do none of those.

I bottle straight from the primary fermenter. My brews turn out fine in my opinion [emoji28]

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Treeman View Post
                  My first brew is nearing end of fermentation. When it stops completely, what do I do.
                  I hear of secondary fermentation ??? - Not needed ... That's when you rack off to a 2nd clean fermenter ... this is also the time to add new stuff to the beer like wood or fruit or what ever weird recipe you're following
                  Cold crashing. Which is first to do? Yes, once bubbles stop and SG is constant over 2 days, cold crash by cooling it down to close as 0ºC as possible

I thought I siphon of into a bucket and then settle again and then bottle ? It's best yes ... once cold crash is done, rack the clear beer to a bottling bucket ... add priming sugar ... give a lite stir and start the bottling process.
                  I had lots of coaching about the brewing, but just realized no one speaks of what happens when the bubbles stop.
                  ----------------------------------
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Same process I follow

Comment

I think what you are referring to as 'secondary' (second fermenter before bottling) is probably what most refer to as 'priming bucket '.

No need for secondary, but I would recommend a priming bucket to make sure you get an even mix of priming sugar. My view would be to just skip the cold crashing for your first batch, to make the priming calcs easier.
                      Cheers,
                      Lang
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                        My view would be to just skip the cold crashing for your first batch, to make the priming calcs easier.
                        I need 6 gr suger per liter ??? or so I believe???
                        Why would skipping cold crash make it easier to calculate??

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for responses guys, just got back.

Comment

Originally posted by Treeman View Post

Why would skipping cold crash make it easier to calculate??

- - - Updated - - -

Temp at which you prime is key.

Use this

https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
                            Temp at which you prime is key.

Use this

https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
                            Aaaaaaah!thank you

Comment

As I mentioned, everything is a first for me at moment.
                              I siphoned of out the bucket, and into a easier container to work with, a clear water container.
                              The wort is very cloudy and looks like dirty water?
                              It has no un-pleasnatries in or on it.
                              It smell like old stale beer, not bad or rotten - pretty much like a men's pub or a glass of beer left on table over night.
                              It tastes like flat old beer, with a strong bitter end note. It does not create the "uhg thats gross" reaction, nor does it make you wish for more - I assume thats just warm flat beer ??
                              Do I bottle this brown stuff or wait for it to settle further first?
                              It is not very appealing to look at.

Comment

Working...
                              X