Newby question - (first of many)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Treeman View Post
    I had 3 pineapples going begging (started with 10), became obvious we were not going to get them down before they went off.
    So having a still I I put 1.5 pine apples in each 20 lt bucket and 3.5 Kg suger to help it along. This is now bubbling happily.
    A bit surprised as I thought I may battle with P/Apple.

Question is, when this lot has fermented, what do I make with it ?
    Stook it and make mampoer? Otherwise that sounds like lockdown beer without enough pineapple.

Comment

• For someone starting the AG journey, how do you find something to brew that you'd like? May seem like a weird question but hear me out. I get pulling recipes off the net and making them... but 20l batches can be expensive in both time and money if it's not to your liking.

Is making smaller batches the answer; although that still seems like a lot of time/work for just a "taster".

Maybe a tasting afternoon somewhere? Any recommendations in the JHB area... but will they share the recipe?

Comment

• Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
        For someone starting the AG journey, how do you find something to brew that you'd like? May seem like a weird question but hear me out. I get pulling recipes off the net and making them... but 20l batches can be expensive in both time and money if it's not to your liking.

Is making smaller batches the answer; although that still seems like a lot of time/work for just a "taster".

Maybe a tasting afternoon somewhere? Any recommendations in the JHB area... but will they share the recipe?
        An option is joining a homebrew club. Someone will have something interesting to taste.
        Going to tastings work, so does drinking craft beer. You probably won't get the exact recipe but when you know what the style tastes like it is easy to play with it.
        Option c - base wort, dry hop small batches with different hops, use different yeast ect.

Sent from my TS_M105B using Tapatalk
        Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
        Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

• I had the same question a while back. And one of the guys, either Jakes or jigsaw gave me great advice. And im just passing it on.

Start with a few blondes.

1) easy drinking not too much flavor (read not a hop bomb) so everyone from a castle to an Aeger drinker can enjoy it.
          2) it will show you what you're doing wrong, there isnt big flavors to hide errors behind.
          - mash to hot. You'll taste it! etc.
          This will make you a better brewer overnight.
          3 batches in and you can brew whatever you want.

As a PS. Some guys will disagree with me but the style guides overlap so much if you just add a bit of dry hop to a blonde you have a Pale ale. And that is most peoples go to brew for years

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Thanks for the advice!

Comment

I had 3 pineapples going begging (started with 10), became obvious we were not going to get them down before they went off.
              So having a still I I put 1.5 pine apples in each 20 lt bucket and 3.5 Kg suger to help it along. This is now bubbling happily.

Let me try again.

Comment

Let me try again.

This is South Arfica - so it'll be brandy. You could also make some pineapple liqueur, should be tasty. You can use pineapple bits and soak it in your distillate or dilute your distillate down with pineapple juice? Actually sounds refreshing for summer

Comment

• Please do superficially talk me through how you would go about the brandy.

Comment

For someone starting the AG journey, how do you find something to brew that you'd like? May seem like a weird question but hear me out. I get pulling recipes off the net and making them... but 20l batches can be expensive in both time and money if it's not to your liking.

If you aren't yet completely familiar with the common styles and what tickles your fancy, I would definately start off with craft beer... At a craft brewery. Most of them have taster boards where you get small glasses of 4 or 5 variants. Most breweries do the same typical set of styles in their range. In fact just up the road in Kya Sands there are two breweries in the same office park and I think they have once monthly joint open days. Agars and OC Brewery I think it is?
                    Langchop
                    Last edited by Langchop; 21 November 2020, 22:11.
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                      If you aren't yet completely familiar with the common styles and what tickles your fancy, I would definately start off with craft beer... At a craft brewery. Most of them have taster boards where you get small glasses of 4 or 5 variants. Most breweries do the same typical set of styles in their range. In fact just up the road in Kya Sands there are two breweries in the same office park and I think they have once monthly joint open days. Agars and OC Brewery I think it is?
                      Ah excellent... very closeby.

Will reach out to them. Thanks!

Comment

Please do superficially talk me through how you would go about the brandy.
                        oof, i've never made brandy, too sweet for me. The process is the same as whiskey though. there's a distilling thread on here somewhere which outlines the process for a potstill and reflux still. you'd definitely use a potstill for the brandy. the trick would be in the aging and charring of your french oak.

Comment

Ah excellent... very closeby.

Will reach out to them. Thanks!
                          And in other news... my wife lets me out of the cage on some Fridays.
                          Cheers,
                          Lang
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Today I popped the first on my 7th batch of beer, and for the first time I can say I made a faultless beer - not its perfect,best beer ever, just it has no after taste or off notes.
                            The beer is by luck right up my taste street, light in taste with a hops after note.
                            Strangely enough I learnt that i like hops in my beer thats as close as possible to the way it smells, I do not know if that makes sense. I like the green taste.
                            How do you get the hops more to the taste front, my common sense tells me add it later in process ?, at moment it goes in early and boils half hour.
                            If I add hops at end of boil and let it stand, will that hops green taste smell be stronger ?

Comment

• Yes, add some of it later or after boil and let it stand (whirlpool) ... you could even add some as a dry-hop
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Definately agree with the dry hop. You will probably love a saaz pilsner too though I reckon
                                Cheers,
                                Lang
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X