Newby question - (first of many)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LiquidBread View Post
    Must I build a wort chiller first or build a fermentation fridge first?

I can already chill the wort in less than hour using an ice bath. I could even use the no-chill method.

I read that controlling the fermentation temperature is game changer!

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk
    ferm chamber if you're not kveiking it, changes your game for the better. if you do build a wort chiller - build a cfc, i chill from 100c to >36c in less than 15 minutes, but summer is coming or so they say, so it might take a few minutes longer

Comment

A simple copper coil immersion chiller will cost under R750 bucks and shouldn't take more than an afternoon to build.
      A fermentation chamber using an old upright fridge and an STC1000, also less than an afternoon and R500 if you have the fridge/freezer.

But a fermentation chamber is indeed a game changer.

Comment

https://youtu.be/DVf-lTFpR2c

Comment

Second of many questions.
          Bottled beer Sunday night, did 100 gr sugar to 19 lt about beer for priming.
          Tonight I tested the first bottle, after 4 days it tastes nice, but it is very flat almost no fizz, is it too early, will it improve in a few more days or is it *^^%^&D?

Comment

^ What made you opt for only 100g .... did you use a calc to do the math ?

When i first bottled and didn't use a calc, I found 6.5 - 7g/L to be perfect
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I use around 5g per liter. I like my beers a little lower on the fizz. Treeman give it 2 weeks in the bottle. 4 days is not long enough. 2 weeks AT LEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                I use around 5g per liter. I like my beers a little lower on the fizz. Treeman give it 2 weeks in the bottle. 4 days is not long enough. 2 weeks AT LEAST.
                Geees - was hoping to hear that.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBread View Post
                  Must I build a wort chiller first or build a fermentation fridge first?

I can already chill the wort in less than hour using an ice bath. I could even use the no-chill method.

I read that controlling the fermentation temperature is game changer!

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk
                  Temp control during fermentation is more important than chilling quickly IMO. Do no-chill, pitch yeast the next day and get it into a temperature controlled environment. Can always get/build a chiller later if you so desire but it lengthens brew day and is a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                    Some high gravity beers are frozen on purpose and the beer decanted from the water-ice.
                    Same with some wines.
                    Intensifies the flavour and increases ABV.
                    A friend sent me this this morning

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/new...-57-8-percent/
                    CaPunT
                    Last edited by CaPunT; 18 September 2020, 09:59.

Comment

Man, had to have used something like liquid nitrogen and a very slow freezing over a long period of time to get that sort of concentration out of a beer. 40ml is good. A whole bottle will kill you.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                        Man, had to have used something like liquid nitrogen and a very slow freezing over a long period of time to get that sort of concentration out of a beer. 40ml is good. A whole bottle will kill you.
                        start off with a high abv beer and do multiple freeze/thaw cycles. i wont even touch 40ml of malty methanol, but it's big in certain parts of this country and goes well with the super high iron content beer. a small amount of concentrated methanol will do permanent damage.

Comment

Yes but you only get to a certain percentage of freezing using a home freezer. Trust me, I've tried this. To get beyond around 30% ABV you need to get used to using other methods of freezing, like liquid nitrogen or bigger (colder) freezers, and the freezing takes a longer time.

I also wouldn't touch that. Sies...

Comment

Originally posted by CaPunT View Post

... do you mix this with coke ?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post

Only if you live in Kimberley

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post

LOL_new.jpg
                                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Working...
                                X