• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mash ph

For those that do water chemistry, help a brother out here

On my brew this morning ...
    Water PH came in at 6.3
    10min into Mash the PH came in at 5.6 (Beersmith calculated 5.63)

So the PH is on par with the software, but what is the easiest method to drop it closer to 5.2 ?

- I don't do any water additions or calculations
    - Water used straight from tap.
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
    For those that do water chemistry, help a brother out here [emoji14]

On my brew this morning ...
    Water PH came in at 6.3
    10min into Mash the PH came in at 5.6 (Beersmith calculated 5.63)

So the PH is on par with the software, but what is the easiest method to drop it closer to 5.2 ?

- I don't do any water additions or calculations
    - Water used straight from tap.
    Add some acidulated malt to your grain bill, every 1% of acidulated (by weight) drops PH by 0.1

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

Can also use a drop or two of lactic acid, or even phosphoric acid. Phosphoric has very narrow buffering zones so it's pretty easy to tank the pH to way too low, but lactic is a lot more forgiving. If you're going to be playing with pH, I would suggest lactic acid.

However, for just one or two points like Paul said, acidulated malt is not a bad idea. I have no idea what it tastes like though.

Comment

Acidulated is basically just 2-Row with lactic acid, so flavour wise it's pretty close to Pale Malt

Comment

Ah, cool. So it's not hard to just add some lactic acid from the start?

Comment

Originally posted by paul.stevens View Post
            Acidulated is basically just 2-Row with lactic acid, so flavour wise it's pretty close to Pale Malt

I use it frequently, no issues thus far

Comment

Thanks for the replies

I never thought about acidulated malt. Will invest in a few kg's

Question2 : what is the sweet spot? 5.2 or 5.4 ?

Comment

I don't know where the sweet spot it, but I've seen Brulosophy tests where they say there's virtually no difference in efficiency or taste and so on (obviously this will depend on the beer style you're making), even when going down as low as 4.6 IIRC. It's an interesting concept, but I believe the 5.2 mark was also where we aimed when making my wort kits. It's what the brewer there preferred for the pale ale beer style.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                  I don't know where the sweet spot it, but I've seen Brulosophy tests where they say there's virtually no difference in efficiency or taste and so on (obviously this will depend on the beer style you're making), even when going down as low as 4.6 IIRC. It's an interesting concept, but I believe the 5.2 mark was also where we aimed when making my wort kits. It's what the brewer there preferred for the pale ale beer style.
                  thanks

Comment

Don't drop below 5.0 and don't go above 6.0 and MOST beers will be fine.

THAT BEING SAID: we have high pH water and if we don't correct the hot liquor before mashing, we have found that some hopped beers get a strange flavour, almost an astringency.

Comment

Working...
                    X