Chinese two roller grain milll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese two roller grain milll

I purchased a two roller grain mill from China via Ali Express.

It arrives most assembled and you only have to assemble the hopper as that comes flat pack.

The rollers are stainless steel and the rest of it is made from aluminium.

The gap is adjustable. A set of feeler gauges may be useful here.

The rollers have some aggressive knurling on them.

I have used it to crush a batch of grain and the with a beefy drill on low speed it makes short work of the grain.

I did notice that more heavily modified grain is much harder for the mill and drill to handle at low speeds. This was easily worked around by mixing it with some of the base malt, i.e., it can handle the mixture just fine.

I did cut out a rectangle and drill two holes in a piece of wood of a size that nicely covers the top of the bucket:

IMG_20200925_150432.jpg

Looks great. What did it cost you?

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Comment

Link to item ?
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

The mills themselves are not very expensive, but all of them had shipping that was either equal or higher than the mill price when I looked.
        Im considering just getting one from Grain and Grape in AU and sending it to my sister, she can bring it on her next visit to SA.

Off topic but Im amazed at how cheap all of these items are in Australia, most of them are half of the price we pay here.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
          The mills themselves are not very expensive, but all of them had shipping that was either equal or higher than the mill price when I looked.
          Im considering just getting one from Grain and Grape in AU and sending it to my sister, she can bring it on her next visit to SA.

Off topic but Im amazed at how cheap all of these items are in Australia, most of them are half of the price we pay here.
          This is what I did (get family in Oz to get for me) after buying a Chinese one that worked fine for only a couple of batches.
          Eventually the non driven roller was not getting driven properly, probably because the knurling got worn too smooth.

I ended up getting the millmaster.
          All stainless, fluted rollers and both rollers are driven.
          Works perfectly
          http://mashmaster.mobile034.com/p/45...rain-mill.html

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by atunguyd View Post
            This is what I did (get family in Oz to get for me) after buying a Chinese one that worked fine for only a couple of batches.
            Eventually the non driven roller was not getting driven properly, probably because the knurling got worn too smooth.

I ended up getting the millmaster.
            All stainless, fluted rollers and both rollers are driven.
            Works perfectly
            http://mashmaster.mobile034.com/p/45...rain-mill.html

Ouch! that looks like an awesome mill, but at R4k its a little steep.
            I was looking at one of these: https://www.grainandgrape.com.au/pro...mounting-board

Comment

Buy once cry once I guess

Comment

Originally posted by johncoram89 View Post
                Looks great. What did it cost you?

IIRC it was about R2k in total (item, shipping, customs, VAT and handling fee).

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                  Link to item ?
                  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1445920793.html

It came via FedEx instead of DHL. But delivery was still quick even though I had to prod them awake so that I could pay them their handling fee plus VAT and customs.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty View Post
                    IIRC it was about R2k in total (item, shipping, customs, VAT and handling fee).
                    Not too bad I'd say!

Comment

When it starts getting into the R1.5k+ territory then I would be way more inclined to go with one of these: http://www.ginormity.com/menace/
                      Local manufacturing and a forum member are the bonus.
                      Aside from that Im sure you would be able to get spares for this.

Comment

I bought one from Ginormity couple days ago - expecting delivery Monday.

One needs to considder the cost of the mill versus how much you will save buying grain in bulk over a period of time. I did some calcs and derived on this:
                        Base malt per kg = R26
                        Bulk malt 25kgs @ R424.35 (incl) = R17.00 /kg
                        I brew 2x 5gal fermentors at a time which equates to approx 8kg malt:
                        8 * 26 = R208
                        8 * 17 = R136
                        = R72 savings per batch.
                        I've done 15 batches since lockdown - 6 months
                        = R1080 savings
                        Means that beyond 18months the mill has paid itself off.
                        On top of that, because you don't have to order malt everytime you want to brew, you'll save fuel or courier fees.

Comment

Biggest benefit of your own mill is that you can adjust your crush size. That's the single biggest benefit. If you like it fine, you crush it fine. Most homebrew shop's crush is too coarse for my tastes.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                            Biggest benefit of your own mill is that you can adjust your crush size. That's the single biggest benefit. If you like it fine, you crush it fine. Most homebrew shop's crush is too coarse for my tastes.
                            Agreed. I end up giving them another blitz or two the blender (not the whole grain bill though) just so that I can up my efficiency :/
                            Sure this adds more work on brew day but i do it while waiting for my strike water to get to temp.

Will look into getting a mill only once I have a chiller sorted...

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post

Agree . Ordered grains from BrewCraft couple months ago and they crushed the grain even after asking them in writting not to do so. Crushed to course had to crush again.
                              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Working...
                              X