Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alcohol Free Beer is it possible by mistake.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol Free Beer is it possible by mistake.

I made a Pale Ale, it fermented and I bottled it. Two weeks later I try 4 of the beers and find them "ok" and not bad at all, but they taste very weak, I would guess 3 % ABV, not 4 or 5 %.

I did a test with alcohol hydrometer and the reading is like 1 cm below the zero - like minus 10 % alcohol.
    I figured bubbles and let beer stand - shake up - stand etc for 1 night, still -10 % alcohol.

I am reasonably lost.............................

Did you take gravity readings before and after the ferment?

Comment

Originally posted by Treeman View Post
      I made a Pale Ale, it fermented and I bottled it. Two weeks later I try 4 of the beers and find them "ok" and not bad at all, but they taste very weak, I would guess 3 % ABV, not 4 or 5 %.

I did a test with alcohol hydrometer and the reading is like 1 cm below the zero - like minus 10 % alcohol.
      I figured bubbles and let beer stand - shake up - stand etc for 1 night, still -10 % alcohol.

I am reasonably lost.............................
      Photo ????????????
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

You took a measurement with an alcohol hydrometer? Not with a Specific Gravity hydrometer? Because that's where your problem is. Alcohol hydrometer (used for distilled spirits) can not be used for any solution that contains sugars or other dissolved contents (like beer or wort). For that you need a beer hydrometer, also called a saccharometer or "specific gravity" hydrometer.

EDIT: Oh, and to answer the question - it's not possible to make an alcohol free beer at home unless you go through a lot of effort. I wouldn't risk it. Much rather buy a case of Castle Free now and again.

Comment

Making low or no abv requires som effort, but not impossible. I quite like bitburger alc free beer, much better than most of the local stuff, with the exception of zero hero from dp. Anyway, take a pic of your hydrometer or link from where you bought it. I'm thinking it's not the right one, like toxxyc said.

Your beer may not be completely fermented, as you wouldn't have had the measurements right - but I'm basing this on the assumption of your hydrometer and the flaw in the process it would cause

Comment

My first batch was fermented with US-05 and it definitely didnt finish fermenting, too many cold fronts hit during that time and I dont have temp control yet.
            It came out tasting amazing!
            So even though it was only around 3.9% it made for a very easy drinking beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
              My first batch was fermented with US-05 and it definitely didnt finish fermenting, too many cold fronts hit during that time and I dont have temp control yet.
              It came out tasting amazing!
              So even though it was only around 3.9% it made for a very easy drinking beer.
              I made the error of writing final gravity on a piece of paper to transfer to book later, guess where that paper might be please.
              Can I use the gravity now after bottling ?
              I have a alcohol meter and 3 hydrometers from 800 to 1100

Start OG was .044 if I recall correctly not with book now, at one test it was .020, where it stalled and then restarted with a temp hike for a few days more, maybe 4/5 days.

Comment

I made the error of writing final gravity on a piece of paper to transfer to book later, guess where that paper might be please.
                Can I use the gravity now after bottling ?
                I have a alcohol meter and 3 hydrometers from 800 to 1100

Start OG was .044 if I recall correctly not with book now, at one test it was .020, where it stalled and then restarted with a temp hike for a few days more, maybe 4/5 days.
                You cant really measure after bottling, carbonation will influence the reading and also the ABV will go up slightly after adding bottling sugar.
                It sounds exactly like my brew, SG was 1.045 and FG was 1.020. I couldnt get it to start fermenting again so I bottled at that point.
                It carbonated perfectly and the beer is awesome.

Comment

Took my 'shit" out tonight to my local, not one negative, that is so strange to me. Comments ranged from, "is how real beer tastes?" too " you can see that you know what ya doin"

Perhaps I do myself injustice?.

Not one suggestion of what was wrong or needed changing.

Comment

Homemade beer is rarely shit. It's rarely award winning for newbies, but it's also rarely shit. I find that even bad attempts turn out okay, and it's only when you start doing your part with your efforts (and when you start to know what you're doing) that you get into the "great" territory.

As a PS, an "okay" homebrew is still better than a bad commercial offering. Just saying.

Comment

I took my beer to the local pub last night for the guys to try, cleared the permissions and poured a 3/4 glass for each person.

The first responses came from the woman with a instant liking and a few questions skirting the classification of beer and "is this really like beer", its much nicer than "beer"?

I do not know if thats a compliment or not, it tastes much nicer than beer Dave, like a adult cool drink , "well almost!"
                      The girls liked it straight out.

The guys were more in the line of .....
                      Its rather fruity for a beer.
                      Its not as fizzy light as SAB beer.
                      Its quiet heavy - rather thick, nice color.
                      The barman said, " it goes to your head rather fast"

Then.......
                      I suppose the change from XYZ I was drinking made it taste funny at first, its actually quiet nice.
                      I like this Dave, it would be a welcome as a choice on the shelf.
                      After the first half, I would honestly say this is better than my B/Label.

I only opened my taster after everyone else had finished, WOW !!!!!!! what a change !!!!!!!!!!
                      After 4 days it was "ya - ok!" would not wish to make it again stuff.
                      After two weeks it was as I posted, drinkable, even nice, but felt low alcohol in a few ways.
                      3 day older and it is actually very nice and better if not ice cold - like as in a nice ice cold beer.
                      My beer got better with taste.

Comment

There's a recommended serving temp for beers as well. Same as with wines. Too cold and you kill all flavour, and there's not much you'll taste. Carbonation level as well.

Comment

Took my 'shit" out tonight to my local, not one negative, that is so strange to me. Comments ranged from, "is how real beer tastes?" too " you can see that you know what ya doin"

How much craft beer have you had (tasted) before you attempted making your own beer ??
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I did not post this ??
                            Originally Posted by Treeman

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              How much craft beer have you had (tasted) before you attempted making your own beer ??
                              Not much at all - the Beer fest at deep sea Club and occasionally when a place serves it.
                              Likely twice - 3 x a year.

Comment

Working...
                              X