Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cleaning bottles

Hi.

I got a box full of 440ml amber bottles but they are quite dirty with dried up beer at the bottom. I've been soaking them in hot water and scrubbing with a bottle brush with some dishwashing liquid for couple days now, but there remains a thin film of haze inside the bottle. What would be the best chemical to clean these with ? - I looked on my LHBS websites but they just seem to list sanitisers - looking for something more industrial/aggressive to clean - possibly something for Cape Agri co-op?

Thanks

I got extremely dirty bottles back when I started ....

Soak in a solution with Sodium PERcarbonate ....

then sprayed with high pressure gun (Kärcher) to rinse ....

came out like new
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Sodium PERcarbonate ....
    Where can I buy this ? Supermarket / hardware ? - else I'll ask around..

Why is 'PER' in caps - is there something similar that I could get confused with ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBrew View Post

Why is 'PER' in caps - is there something similar that I could get confused with ?

Thanks
    There was an online supplier: https://www.blackwellproducts.co.za/...m-percarbonate
    Some members bought from them recently and they didnt have stock despite the website saying they did.
    Sodium Percarbonate is the active ingredient in PBW and other products like oxy-clean.
    If you cant get hold of it then oxy-clean works too, just be sure to rinse thoroughly afterwards.

Thanks
    Some might confuse it with Sodium Bicarbonate, which won't work as well

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket-Boy View Post
    There was an online supplier: https://www.blackwellproducts.co.za/...m-percarbonate
    Some members bought from them recently and they didnt have stock despite the website saying they did.
    I got a full refund and was to alerted when they have stock again, let's see. They are VERY cheap

Quote Originally Posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
    I got a full refund and was to alerted when they have stock again, let's see. They are VERY cheap
    Please update your thread if you do get notified, I was about to buy some from them until I saw what happened to your order.
    Its a great price for a really effective product.

OK thanks. I'm aware of sodium bicarb.

Don't always like online buying .. prefer to buy it off the shelve from a shop.

Does it have any other common names ? I googled now and found 'washing soda' and 'soda ash' ? Same thing ?

I''l go to Malmesbury Agri - see if they've got.

OK thanks. I'm aware of sodium bicarb.

Don't always like online buying .. prefer to buy it off the shelve from a shop.

Does it have any other common names ? I googled now and found 'washing soda' and 'soda ash' ? Same thing ?

I''l go to Malmesbury Agri - see if they've got.
    I have used Washing Soda on some dirty bottles but I think some dish-washing liquid may have performed better.

Water and time are your friends, as is a bit of heat.

A dishwasher is your friend. Note that this may also remove labels.

I have experimented a bit and the only problem with hot water is that it might burn your hands (wear gloves?), dish-washing soap or washing soda makes the bottles slippery.

The home brew supply stores, Beer Guevara and Beer Lab (the two I have seen), sell some impressive looking bottle brushes....

Thanks
    Looks like you already got the correct answers ....

It's usually when you phone around that you have to make sure they understand that its "PER" you looking for.

I buy mine from kleen-eezy

102 Connaught Rd, Parow, Cape Town
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

I took my beer bottle brush and cut off the plastic hanging thing over the weekend. And then stuck the wire en into my battery operated drill. I also have a ton of bottles soaking and it makes cleaning them much nicer. Still not perfect, but nicer.

I like Jigsaw's solution. I'll be buying some percarbonate sometime because I'm also stuck with a hazy film. It doesn't affect the beer, but I like my bottles shiny.

PS: The film seems to "reduce" when I wash the bottles and then rinse them and then let them soak in acidisan. Dunno if that makes sense.