No announcement yet.

Cleaning bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the same with old beer in bottles I got cheap. I used an handful or two small stone (5mm) with a a cup of water and swirled and shaked. Worked a charm. Rinse well and wash afterwards

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok, so I got a jar of OxyBrite from a small cleaning shop - apparently contains 100% sodium percarbonate. R95 for 1kg (I know it's 3x more expensive that previously posted here - but not going to drive R200 diesel to save R60). Anyway I have enough to last me at least a year.

So am busy cleaning bottles now .. I diluted 15grams into 5 litres of water and poured it into the bottles... noticing fine bubbles with some brown gunk bubbling out the top. I presume that is the magic working. I notice some bottles have lots of bubbles generating on the inside .. rising to the top - like a good beer would do. Anyway some bottles don't have bubbles generating .. why would that be?

My logic tells me the bubbles are generated from dirt inside the bottle and the non bubbling ones are already clean? The label on the oxyclean states 'leave to soak for 15min' .. but maybe one needs to soak till no more bubbles?

Comment

I'd soak for about 30 minutes, with a scrub in between. Percarbonate breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and oxygen, which is why you're seeing the bubbles. That reaction is what's "cleaning" the bottles on the inside (same stuff used in Vanish Power O2 to remove stains from clothes). It stops working about 20 to 30 minutes after dilution, so soaking longer than that might not have any more use for you.

PS: Because of the nucleus points, I think the dirtier ones will probably bubble a bit more. Think I need to go buy that stuff as well.

Comment

Finished cleaning the bottles now.. amasing how much dirt, crumbs and small fluff (like fluff off clothes from tumble dryer) came out the froth oozing ou the top of the bottles - this is after I was trying to clean them with dishwashing liquid for couple of day prior.

Right. This is how I'll clean my botles from time to time - do'nt think everytime tho - too much effort.

Washing the bottles out with the WAP worked like a charm. I had it on the swirling motion.
          AlexBrew
          Last edited by AlexBrew; 30 September 2020, 13:22. Reason: added WAP comment

Comment

Success

cool2.jpg
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
              I took my beer bottle brush and cut off the plastic hanging thing over the weekend. And then stuck the wire en into my battery operated drill. I also have a ton of bottles soaking and it makes cleaning them much nicer. Still not perfect, but nicer.
              I did the same thing, chopped the end off a cheap bottle brush and run it in a drill.
              It works pretty well with ordinary dish soap, cuts through the haze too.

Comment

I like that drill brush idea and will have to give it a go. I have read of it before but never tried it.

Any ideas on where best to get some used bottles? I have depleted my usual sources.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty View Post
                  I like that drill brush idea and will have to give it a go. I have read of it before but never tried it.

Any ideas on where best to get some used bottles? I have depleted my usual sources.
                  I think most people just buy a case of SAB and then use the bottles afterwards.
                  I still need to look into capping for longer term storage and ageing.

Comment

1 x case of lion quarts = R132 (excluding deposits) that gives you 12 bottles that are pretty clean on the inside (just need to wash the lion out first.) It has the benefit of giving you a crate to store the bottles in. I am sitting with 5 crates of empties awaiting filling at the moment.
                    There once was a man from Nantucket.
                    Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
                    He put the wort into there,
                    to cut down on the air.
                    Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Comment

Problem I have with 750 quarts is the porridge that settles on the bottom. I usually pour very carefully not to disturb too much, but it is inevitable that the contents in the bottle upon return to vertical position distrubs the trub no matter what. Unless you have a 1 litre glass, best to share a quart w a buddy and pour both glasses in one pour.

I'm preferring the 440ml bottles. Perfect for one pour in a 500ml glass with enough space for head.

Comment

I saw this at my friend Leroy's place yesterday.
                        IMG_20201001_092242.jpg
                        Reminded me of this discussion, and for R35 I thought I would try and hack a brass bar lance with a spray slot (that I would need to make) onto it for high pressure cleaning inside all my bottles.
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

There are bottle washers you can buy that fit on a tap/hose, useful if its not too dirty to begin with.
                          I always rinse out a bottle after pouring to avoid nasty cleaning later.
                          I have also seen some Aussies using one of those inverted keg cleaners to jet out the inside of the bottle.

Comment

As stated, rinse well 3 times soon after pouring.
                            Store 750 upside down in crate, keep the opened bottle cap ( also rinse it ) and put on top of 440ml bottles if you cannot store upside down.
                            Sanitise bottles just before bottling.
                            To my knowledge never had any infections doing above.
                            Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

I rinse after pouring, pouring in tap water, giving it a shake and then turning it upside down. I do this three times, sometimes 4 if the beer stood for a while (the yeast sediment gets harder with time).

It's when you leave bottles for a few days/weeks that you get issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X