Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

System upgrade recommendations

Howsit guys!

Im currently using a 50L urn for a single vessel BIAB system. I built a modular control box for an STC1000 temp controller (plus 15A relay circuit) and a circulation pump (using old dishwasher pump). The system is loosely based off a single brewing system such as a Brewzilla / Grain father and is working really well.

The only problem I have is the small volume/yield I get. My system limit is starting with +-30L water, plus grains, and leaves me with a little headroom and then I only get about 20L yield.

Because I built the system plug 'n play I can still use the pump, control box and temp controller if I upgrade and I was thinking of just getting a bigger urn. My main objective with an upgrade is to get at least double (40L) or more yield to make it viable to consider.

I contacted Basterfield engineering and the biggest urn they sell for single phase power is 3000W @ 75L. They do have a 100L and 150L urns but as its 3 phase it wont work. I asked them if they cant custom build be a 100L urn with a 3000W element, but I am yet to hear back from them (using a 3000W element on a larger volume will increase by brew day by +-30min).

The only other alternative I can think of is to buy a 100L stainless vessel and maybe pop in a 3000W low density element, but I am hesitant due to extra complexity & keeping the element clean.

Considering I dont have the space for a 3 tier system, is there anything else I should consider?

Any advice appreciated.

Maybe the Demacraft 60lt? But it's a big investment

Quote Originally Posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
    Maybe the Demacraft 60lt? But it's a big investment
    Thanks for the recommendation, but at R16 000 its out of the question unfortunately.

Plus as mentioned I already have modular temp controller, pump and control box I will migrate to the new system

hang out for basterfields response or give them a call? i believe that their elements are uncovered anyway, so there is that

You could try brewing a higher gravity brew and dilute the wort with distilled water afterwards to desired gravity into the fermentors. Ive read somewhere John Palmer talking about this.
    You'll need to considder hop IBU additions as per your final fermentable volume.

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    hang out for basterfields response or give them a call? i believe that their elements are uncovered anyway, so there is that

This........

Mash a 2nd batch in a coolerbox. Add that liquid to the 1st batch in the urn. Fill to the brim. Boil slower or for a shorter period. Should be able to get close to 40L from a 50l urn??? NOT ??

You could even circulate from urn to coolerbox back to urn ... just need to control the flow with ballvalves/taps
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by tman32 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation, but at R16 000 its out of the question unfortunately.
    I'm planning to get that at some stage

Another option would be to buy a big stainless vessel of your required size, take it to an engineering works and get them to weld a 2" triclover port near the bottom.
    You can easily get low watt density elements in the triclover configuration to put into that port.

The plus with that is its a doddle to remove from the vessel for cleaning purposes. If you decide later that you want a change you can just put a blanking plate on to cover the fitting and move the element to another vessel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
    I'm planning to get that at some stage
    Dont look at any Aussie brewing suppliers then, it will really annoy you to see how little they cost in the rest of the world!
    That same system is around R6k overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket-Boy View Post

Dont look at any Aussie brewing suppliers then, it will really annoy you to see how little they cost in the rest of the world!
    That same system is around R6k overseas.
    Indeed, something we have to live with