Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yeah I finished the distillation and the distillate tastes clean, at least, even with some puking. I'll spirit run it later on. Smells and tastes vastly different to the regular wash. Will experiment a bit with other malts, because I'm not getting as much caramel as I'd hoped for. It's more fruity, actually, but that can also be pointed to the infection. And yes, it's definitely been an infection.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I fermented in that blue boiling bucket, same one I mashed in. The bucket isn't sealed, it has a tiny breathing spot at the top so I guess that's where the infection crept in. Also, the wash is never boiled, so that also makes a difference I guess.

First run produced a pretty flavourful distillate though. I was really worried about vinegar, but it's really not bad. Quite fruity. Reminds me of the run I did that contained cranberry and apple cider that turned out bad.
    If the element is still in this bucket and you didn't do a boil, I will put my c0ck on a block and say that's where the kak started
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Yep, probably. I'm not too phased about it though, because distillation :P

I had a nice whiskey wash brew day today. It was very satisfying not having to do any calculations or measurements, and just dumping and squeezing limits and seeing how much of everything I could fit in. At the end of the day it looked like it all worked out pretty well.

I initially milled 7.5kg of pale and filled the boilbucket with about 15l of water. It was getting a bit stiff when mashing in so added another 1.5 l of water and then some more malt. In the end about 6.5kg grain with however much water for about 20L mash.
    Did just a 5 minute sanitation boil, and it gave me a very suitable 1.074 in 20L which I also cubed for the first time. Nice not worrying about hops and bittering either.
    IMG_20201121_114622.jpg
    IMG_20201121_145609.jpg
    IMG_20201121_155551.jpg

After doing just an experimental distill previously with a sugar wash, I am looking forward to this one.
    Last edited by Langchop; 22nd November 2020 at 12:49. Reason: typos. How do you people ever understand what I type?
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Nice
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Looking good, I decided to strip that sugarwash today instead of brewing.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

So this sounds like a lockdown post... apologies for that, but I cant remember how I did it last time (sugar wash and cider), and some advice would be appreciated...

19.7L wort at SG 1.074 (100% pale malt) and I have Goldstar Instant Yeast for it
    • Intend running it at 25 deg. I think this worked well for cider. Is this ideal for this too?
    • One sachet or two? (weird that they dont give instructions on the bread yeast packet, regarding how much to use for brewing!? )
    • Do I need to hydrate or not?
    • Nothing else I need to add is there? (such as nutrients)

TIA

And in other news...
    Jeez Louise, I cant believe how much a cube shrinks!. And here I squeezed it so it wouldnt explode from initial handling. I think my 20L has shrunk to 15L. Maybe the angels are taking their share early.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

pitch kveik if you have it, works well for whiskeys.
    sugarwash is pretty much a g/l, no need to hydrate. your ag brew has heaps of nutrients, but it wont hurt. whiskey mash is really just like your beer wort