Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not at all. but ok cool, thanks for the advice, i'll do exactly that.

EDIT: Apologies for highjacking your thread Knot! but i believe its applicable nonetheless

Thanks for all the input everyone. I have been adjusting the AA% to match the hops so ai think I'm good on that front.

Although my first couple batches went a little wrong, I've got a better handle on my boiloff rates and dead space in the kettle and on the last 3 batches I'm hitting my numbers (OG and post boil volumes) without the need to adjust boil times. These batches have still been very bitter.

Perceived bitterness sounds interesting, I'll need to get my head around that.

I'll run a couple test batches at 0m and half my altitude and see what they taste like.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotguilty View Post
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I have been adjusting the AA% to match the hops so ai think I'm good on that front.

Although my first couple batches went a little wrong, I've got a better handle on my boiloff rates and dead space in the kettle and on the last 3 batches I'm hitting my numbers (OG and post boil volumes) without the need to adjust boil times. These batches have still been very bitter.

Perceived bitterness sounds interesting, I'll need to get my head around that.

I'll run a couple test batches at 0m and half my altitude and see what they taste like.

Mr Knot... how did your batches at 0m turn out?

EDIT: Think I found a bug in the software.

Load up your recipe and note the IBUs.
    Edit your equipment and enable the tick for altitude adjustment of 1532m and save but don't scale (I get 1 ibu increase on my blonde recipe)
    Now do the same again and remove the tick, save and don't scale. You should effectively be back at where you started but my IBUs jump about 10!

Anyone else?
    Last edited by BruHaha; 23rd December 2020 at 06:58.

Some home brewers ignore this and base bitterness on there perception.
    I do not bother with altitude anymore. Base bitterness as to my perception.
    The altidude mentioned can make a big difference as per articles below.

https://beersmith.com/blog/2019/12/0...p-utilization/
    https://beerandbrewing.com/ask-the-e...high-altitude/
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

I tried a batch with the altitude set to half of Johannesburgs altitude and I still found it too bitter. I now enter 0m for altitude and beers are coming out good and I am able to adapt recipes found online to my batch size and equipment with resonable results. Keep in mind I tend to brew German lagers and blonde ales so your experience may differ when brewing more hoppy styles.

Overwhelming evidence to stay at 0m then.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotguilty View Post
    I tried a batch with the altitude set to half of Johannesburgs altitude and I still found it too bitter. I now enter 0m for altitude and beers are coming out good and I am able to adapt recipes found online to my batch size and equipment with resonable results. Keep in mind I tend to brew German lagers and blonde ales so your experience may differ when brewing more hoppy styles.
    Thanks for that feedback. I think I am on that same page as my beers still feel (taste, really) more bitter than they should be. I will try a 0m in my next brew and assess from there. Or I will move to the coast so I don't have this complication.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."