brewing cost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brewing cost

Anyone done some sort of cost analysis regarding home brewing v commercial purchases?

Today I brewed a clone of Mad Giant Hop Killer with added oats..

So I added up expenses for this brew per litre (not equating the man hours!)

mmmm .. and comes to less tan R10.00 per litre.

Image1.jpg

You can make great beer at home for very cheap ....

I hardly drink craft at a bar ... my beers taste better and costs way less ... the average price of R35 per ±500ml that they come up with makes ZERO sense to me
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I hear..
      Last weekend had DP golden ale and then a BH IPA when R50 pint = R100/liter.
      Nice beer .. hats off.
      However .. making quality beer at home can cost lots less.. and taste very close. .. if not better.
      AlexBrew
      Last edited by AlexBrew; 14 October 2020, 20:54. Reason: added text

Comment

I agree, I vary between R7 and R10 per litre, depending on the style and whether I have washed yeast available to use or not.

Upgrading to 50 litre batches was the best thing I could have done, brews are further apart, costs the same, and I spend about an hour longer in the process for more than double the usual 21 litre batch.

Comment

We need to put a cost to time spent, but a money flowing out your pocket comparison, does make me feel better [emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
            I agree, I vary between R7 and R10 per litre, depending on the style and whether I have washed yeast available to use or not.

Upgrading to 50 litre batches was the best thing I could have done, brews are further apart, costs the same, and I spend about an hour longer in the process for more than double the usual 21 litre batch.
            Yeah these small batches are also getting to me, basically need to brew every weekend (wife loves this of course...)

Comment

I've brewed for around R3 per litre before. That was using the cheapest malt and the cheapest hops I could find, but the beer was still very drinkable. Most of my beers run around R10 per litre these days.

Comment

When I started brewing I bought the premixed grainbills from BG with their recommended hops and yeast and that tallied up to round R20/litre. Yesterday I brewed a hop heavy american style beer - one of the most expensive styles, mainly due to the amount of hops. Now I buy bulk grain and 1kg hops (still buy the speciallity malts by the kg), reuse yeast and produce this 'exclusively expensive' beer for under R10/litre. I'm happy with that.

Think the cheapest beer to brew is a smash pilsner.
                AlexBrew
                Last edited by AlexBrew; 15 October 2020, 07:57. Reason: extra added

Comment

I use my own software that I wrote for my brewing.
                  Every recipe I design automatically work out what it will cost to brew the beer. This includes everything, ingriedents, sanatiser, gas etc.
                  I buy all my base malts and most of my hops in bulk.
                  My average cost is R12 per liter.
                  I do tend to brew more costly beers, my cheaper beers come to about R8 per liter.
                  Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                    Anyone done some sort of cost analysis regarding home brewing v commercial purchases?

Today I brewed a clone of Mad Giant Hop Killer with added oats..

So I added up expenses for this brew per litre (not equating the man hours!)

mmmm .. and comes to less tan R10.00 per litre.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2716[/ATTACH]
                    Check your spreadsheet, your yeast cost is not coming through.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by atunguyd View Post
                      Check your spreadsheet, your yeast cost is not coming through.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Thats because he said he is re-using yeast ... so NO cost

Comment

isn't this built into brewfathers inventory system? i couldn't be arsed to use it though

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                          isn't this built into brewfathers inventory system? i couldn't be arsed to use it though
                          Yes, even Beersmith have it incorporated into the software, but its a bitch to keep it updated as the prices change.

I dont bother with it

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                            I dont bother with it
                            This. Bulk ingredients mean I spend R1k every few months and I can make A LOT of beer with R1k's worth of ingredients. When people ask me how much it costs I just say "cheaper".

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                              Thats because he said he is re-using yeast ... so NO cost

Yes.. reusing the yeast

Comment

Working...
                              X