Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: brewing cost

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    Check your spreadsheet, your yeast cost is not coming through.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Thats because he said he is re-using yeast ... so NO cost
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

isn't this built into brewfathers inventory system? i couldn't be arsed to use it though

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    isn't this built into brewfathers inventory system? i couldn't be arsed to use it though
    Yes, even Beersmith have it incorporated into the software, but its a bitch to keep it updated as the prices change.

I dont bother with it
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    I dont bother with it
    This. Bulk ingredients mean I spend R1k every few months and I can make A LOT of beer with R1k's worth of ingredients. When people ask me how much it costs I just say "cheaper".

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Thats because he said he is re-using yeast ... so NO cost

Yes.. reusing the yeast

We keep a separate spreadsheet because Bearsmith cannot do bulk updates to the inventory.

Between R12 and R16 per L depending on the recipe. This includes gas, water, electricity, malt, hops, yeast, clarifier.

Does NOT include refrigeration as this is very difficult to quantify per L.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHolic View Post
    I use my own software that I wrote for my brewing.
    Ditto. Working on it all the time.. Adding features etc.
    I'm a software developer - on the sideline I make personnal apps to make my life easier - and keep me busy.

I don't concern myself with the cost of brewing my own beer, the reward far outweighs the cost

Interesting you posted this, as I brewed a Pale ale over the weekend 32l batch (max the fermenter would hold) had to toss 1 liter.

I started thinking about cost 5kg Pilsner ~ R75 100g specialty ~ R10. reused yeast R0, Electricity (free from the sun) water (free from the ground*), Hops total of 70g used roughly R60.... so all in 32l for R145 + 17% to get it to Zambia = ~R170 I wasn't trying to brew a cheap beer but R5 per liter is amazingly cheaper than I thought it was costing me.

*lets' ignore the purchase of the borehole and solar system as I already needed and installed that before i started brewing.

Making beer at home is definitely much cheaper than buying, but it's a little unfair to compare the cost to what Micro Breweries ask for a pint.

Just excise tax alone on a 30 liter keg at 5% ABV works out at about R 370.00, then they need to cover rent, salaries, marketing, equipment maintenance, electricity, liquor license costs etc. and still make at least some profit for the owner.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk