Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mango addition

Howdy All,

I've brewed a 32l APA for a upcoming party but Mangos have just come into season here so I am toying with the idea of bottling half the batch and then adding some mango to the other half for a couple days then bottling the rest.

I'm a little concerned about O2 coming in as I bottle the first half. But it will be all gone in a pretty short space of time. Is this a dumb idea?

if your careful you should still have the c02 layer on top, also the Mango addition will trigger further fermentation which should scrub any 02. Seeing as you will be drinking it all at the party I don't think you will really have an issue with oxygenation in such a short time.

Comment

I have not made any beers with fruit additions - thou sounds like something I'd like to try one day.
      I saw a video on youtube while back .. think called Mango IPA.. Maybe you can lift some tips from there.
      See if I can find it for you.

It's this one I was talking about:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMYGOcLwtQk

.. tho a lot of videos came up when I searched for 'Mango IPA'
      AlexBrew
      Last edited by AlexBrew; 16 October 2020, 17:59. Reason: youtube link added

Comment

Like alex i have 0 exp with fruit additions. The only 2c i have is. If your really want to do it give it a go. Dont let us stop you. And check out quantities very carefully. The internet will be your friend here. Be very careful not to overdo it. O and how are you going to ensure you dont get an infection? Microwave for 10s?

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Great. I think I'll go for it. but might just do 10l. That way if I mess it up I still have plenty in reserve and I also don't think I'll want too much left over.
          I was going to puree the mango then pasteurize for 10 Mins ~ 80 deg.

Comment

Originally posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
            Great. I think I'll go for it. but might just do 10l. That way if I mess it up I still have plenty in reserve and I also don't think I'll want too much left over.
            I was going to puree the mango then pasteurize for 10 Mins ~ 80 deg.
            The going rate is about 1.5Kg puree to 25L of beer
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Thanks for the assistance
              So I did around 700 ml of puree for 14 odd liters (a bit under the going rate) and added a small dry hop addition while I was at it. Smelt devine at bottling stage. just waiting for it to carb properly now. Weren't the best mangos as it was early in the season, bit now there are these mangos that have a pineapple taste to them which are in their prime. So a Mango IPA is next on the cards if this one turns out okay.

Comment

Cool, Keep us updated .... When are you doing the first taster ?

Comment

I think by Wednesday... I'll keep you updated.

Comment

IMG_20201028_173815_3.jpg

Came out pretty well. Mango is difficult to discern when cold but comes out as the beer warms up. Not overly prominent but they weren't the best mangos I think I'd up the rate next time and for some reason I think a bit of wheat in the grain bill would be good too.
                    Also might mash a bit higher to keep a bit of sweetness in the beer. But pretty happy with it. A mango NEIPA sounds pretty amazing for next experiment.

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2749[/ATTACH]

Came out pretty well. Mango is difficult to discern when cold but comes out as the beer warms up. Not overly prominent but they weren't the best mangos I think I'd up the rate next time and for some reason I think a bit of wheat in the grain bill would be good too.
                        Also might mash a bit higher to keep a bit of sweetness in the beer. But pretty happy with it. A mango NEIPA sounds pretty amazing for next experiment.
                        Thanks for the update. Do you think the 1.5Kg puree to 25L would work or should a person even up that a little?

Comment

Having brewed with fruit/veggies before, I'd up that. At least double that.

Comment

Reading this thread is making me lus to make something like this as well. I guess making the puree from fresh mangoes is best option .. how's the thought about adding a couple litres supermarket mango juice into the fermentor ?

... and for some reason I think a bit of wheat in the grain bill would be good too..
                            A while back I posted about fluffy mouthfeel and forum suggestion returned by adding some oats. I made the famous Killer Hop PA, which has some wheat in it .. and the beer (I posted a pic beginning this week) has a very fluffy mouthfeel to it - almost what I was looking for in the first place. .. so my question is: what does wheat do to the taste and or mouthfeel? .. in comparrison to adding oats?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                              Reading this thread is making me lus to make something like this as well. I guess making the puree from fresh mangoes is best option .. how's the thought about adding a couple litres supermarket mango juice into the fermentor ?
                              I have done a Mango/Habanero IPA before and added Mango juice to secondary fermenter. It wasn't bad, but it took 6 months in the bottle to settle and have some sort of palatable taste. I would rather opt for the puree.

Comment

Working...
                              X