Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mango addition

Looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by hopingmadinZam View Post
    Attachment 2749

Came out pretty well. Mango is difficult to discern when cold but comes out as the beer warms up. Not overly prominent but they weren't the best mangos I think I'd up the rate next time and for some reason I think a bit of wheat in the grain bill would be good too.
    Also might mash a bit higher to keep a bit of sweetness in the beer. But pretty happy with it. A mango NEIPA sounds pretty amazing for next experiment.
    Thanks for the update. Do you think the 1.5Kg puree to 25L would work or should a person even up that a little?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Having brewed with fruit/veggies before, I'd up that. At least double that.

Reading this thread is making me lus to make something like this as well. I guess making the puree from fresh mangoes is best option .. how's the thought about adding a couple litres supermarket mango juice into the fermentor ?

... and for some reason I think a bit of wheat in the grain bill would be good too..
    A while back I posted about fluffy mouthfeel and forum suggestion returned by adding some oats. I made the famous Killer Hop PA, which has some wheat in it .. and the beer (I posted a pic beginning this week) has a very fluffy mouthfeel to it - almost what I was looking for in the first place. .. so my question is: what does wheat do to the taste and or mouthfeel? .. in comparrison to adding oats?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBrew View Post
    Reading this thread is making me lus to make something like this as well. I guess making the puree from fresh mangoes is best option .. how's the thought about adding a couple litres supermarket mango juice into the fermentor ?
    I have done a Mango/Habanero IPA before and added Mango juice to secondary fermenter. It wasn't bad, but it took 6 months in the bottle to settle and have some sort of palatable taste. I would rather opt for the puree.

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Thanks for the update. Do you think the 1.5Kg puree to 25L would work or should a person even up that a little?
    Yeah I'd be tempted to use more than that, I'll add a fair bit extra on the next one and see how that turns out.
    Around here everyone eats the mango skin too and it it adds a nice bit of tang to a sweet mango, I'm thinking about tossing them in too.
    I would toss the whole mangos into starsan to try rid some of the yeasties from the skin and pasteurize the whole thing too but the aroma from the skins is awesome and would add some extra flavour.

A while back I posted about fluffy mouthfeel and forum suggestion returned by adding some oats. I made the famous Killer Hop PA, which has some wheat in it .. and the beer (I posted a pic beginning this week) has a very fluffy mouthfeel to it - almost what I was looking for in the first place. .. so my question is: what does wheat do to the taste and or mouthfeel? .. in comparrison to adding oats?
    My understanding is that it's the proteins in oat (and wheat) that give it that mouthfeel. So wheat should be pretty similar to oats in that regard.

As for store bought juice, it should in theory work the same, but will be a lot less concentrated so you may end up watering your beer down more than you want. Also be weary of and preservatives or additives which would upset your yeast.

My understanding is that it's the proteins in oat (and wheat) that give it that mouthfeel. So wheat should be pretty similar to oats in that regard.
    Ok .. thanks for that.

Also be weary of and preservatives or additives which would upset your yeast.
    At the start of my (lockdown) brewing career I made ciders from store bought juice and added brown table sugar and turned out very strong .. and finished very dry - FG 0.990.. thinking now adding juice to beer is also going to ferment the beer too dry. With that in considderation, one can't make your wort OG to high neither as it will finish too potent.

Ok .. thanks for that.

At the start of my (lockdown) brewing career I made ciders from store bought juice and added brown table sugar and turned out very strong .. and finished very dry - FG 0.990.. thinking now adding juice to beer is also going to ferment the beer too dry. With that in considderation, one can't make your wort OG to high neither as it will finish too potent.
    Could you not just mash in a really high temp to get a lot more unfermentable sugars? Maybe one of the experts could chip in here?

As for store bought juice, it should in theory work the same, but will be a lot less concentrated so you may end up watering your beer down more than you want. Also be weary of and preservatives or additives which would upset your yeast.
    Store bought fruit juices are usually not 100% of the variety. Most are cut with a cheaper juice, like apple or pear. Not to mention they ALWAYS have preservatives added, be it sorbates or benzoates. It doesn't ferment "lekker". Been there, done that. Go fresh, and pulp yourself. You can even just cut it into cubes or whatever, smush it in a Ziplock bag, free/defrost it once or twice and then add some pectic enzyme to break down the cells to get all the juice out. Then add to the beer.