Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mango addition

Quote Originally Posted by AlexBrew View Post
    Ok .. thanks for that.

At the start of my (lockdown) brewing career I made ciders from store bought juice and added brown table sugar and turned out very strong .. and finished very dry - FG 0.990.. thinking now adding juice to beer is also going to ferment the beer too dry. With that in considderation, one can't make your wort OG to high neither as it will finish too potent.
    In a case like this, I would use artificial sweeteners. Sodium Saccharin is a good choice. A teaspoon in 25l is enough to break the dryness and create a sweet cider.

'Sodium Saccharin' - I'll keep that in mind .. thx

I did some reasearch at the time on which juices to buy for fermentation and learned that the only ones to use are preserved with only Vitamin C.. which as it turns out are the cheapest juices on the shelf. Think PnP/Spar no name brand juices and Rhodes are good while the more expensive ones - LuiqiFruit and Ceder Juices umongst others are actually full of preservatives mentioned below.

But coming back to fruit additions to beer I will use actual fruit. Think the satisfaction from doing it properly for own consumption outweighs the thought that you cheated with the fruit.

You can use other sweeteners like Xylitol or Sorbitol as well, but keep in mind the sugar alcohols (the ones that end in -tol) can give you pretty nasty, uhm, "bowel movements" if you're not careful with the amounts. That's why things like Aspartame, Saccharin or Sucralose are used as well.

I use Erythritol when making cider for my wife, it has no negative effects to the bowels.
    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHolic View Post
    I use Erythritol when making cider for my wife, it has no negative effects to the bowels.
    Drink enough of it and it'll still give you the shits :P Most of the alcohol sugars will do that, if not all of them. But you have to consume quite a bit.