Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokey oaked stout

Hi guys,

So we're in summer, far from winter. Perfect time to start up a nice strong stout that can mature for a few months, no? So I have an idea. I want to brew a stout again anyway, so I might as well take this opportunity to "go big or go home". If it's a smaller batch that'll also be fine, so I don't mind making only, say, 14l or so due to capacity.

Anyway, what I have in mind is a smokey, peaty, oaked stout. Strong, around 10% ABV. Some sweetness added, and oaked. I'm looking to try and make a strong stout that mimics a peaty whisky, perfect for those cold winter braais.

I'm looking to hit these numbers:

1.090 OG minimum, before the addition of lactose.
    1.014 FG, more or less.
    For an ABV of 10%, more or less.
    Around 25 IBUs. I definitely don't want this beer to be bitter. Will be a 60 minute hop addition to ensure a proper boiloff of flavour and aroma.
    I want to ferment with a regular high-attenuation ale yeast, something like US-05 will do just fine. I've got some Kveik Voss around here that might also just work.

Tasting notes I want to hit are:

1. Smokey, peated. For this I'm going to use a peated malt, NOT a smoked malt. The same stuff they make whisky with.
    2. Sweet in the back. I want to balance the smoke with a bit of sweet. I'll probably add a full pound or so of lactose to give it some body and mouthfeel next to the massive ABV.
    3. Oak. I plan on using some oak I used previously to make whisky and rum and stick it in the beer post fermentation. I don't have a lot, but I have enough to give the stout a good amount of flavour, I'd guess. So ex-whisky and ex-rum oak in the finish.
    4. Smoother beer with low to medium carbonation. I want it to finish with a bit of a dark head, but not foamy. That'll ruin the idea I have for it.

So, any hints, tips, ideas here? Base malts? Specialty malts? I've been considering using Pilsner malt as the base, because of it's flavour profile (honey, sweet) as it'll compliment what I'm after well.

As an additional note - I want to make a stout that reminds you of Ardbeg 10YO when you drink it.

I tried to make a similar beer a couple months ago and it turned out to be one of my worst. I made so many mistakes and I think you are on the right track based on your comments.

My biggest learning is that with smoked malt less is more. I used 500g in a 20l batch and it tastes the same way your clothes smell after braai. If you are in CPT you are welcome to taste it considering I have so much of it left haha
    johncoram89
    Last edited by johncoram89; 20 October 2020, 08:55.

Comment

you lost me at lactose. go easy with the peat or not - you're adding lactose so whatever you add will be out of my circle of preference :-)

Comment

Originally posted by johncoram89 View Post
        I used 500g in a 20l batch and it tastes the same way your clothes smell after braai.
        What recipe were you making, and did you use smoked or peated malt?

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
        you lost me at lactose. go easy with the peat or not - you're adding lactose so whatever you add will be out of my circle of preference :-)
        LOL not a fan of lactose? I'm still in two minds about it. Considering the fact that the oak adds sweetness as well, I don't want it to be sweet. Just want it balanced. Last thing I want is a 10% dry stout.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
          LOL not a fan of lactose? I'm still in two minds about it. Considering the fact that the oak adds sweetness as well, I don't want it to be sweet. Just want it balanced. Last thing I want is a 10% dry stout.
          not a fan at all, lactose belongs in dairy products and not in beer :-) next time you pour yourself a dram of peaty whisky, instead of a few drops of water to open the nose, drop some milk in it and let me know how that was :-)

Comment

not a fan at all, lactose belongs in dairy products and not in beer :-) next time you pour yourself a dram of peaty whisky, instead of a few drops of water to open the nose, drop some milk in it and let me know how that was :-)
            I enjoy whisky and milk

Comment

Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
              I enjoy whisky and milk
              ehm. no. just....no. please. no.

https://tenor.com/view/dracula-vampi...ed-gif-5180822

Comment

Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                I enjoy whisky and milk
                It's a perfect hangover dop

When i was younger I also used to notice the golfers like to drink whiskey+milk at the club after the games.

Whiskey + Coffee liqueur + milk + icecream also makes a very nice milkshake
                The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                  It's a perfect hangover dop

When i was younger I also used to notice the golfers like to drink whiskey+milk at the club after the games.

Whiskey + Coffee liqueur + milk + icecream also makes a very nice milkshake
                  Lawn bowlers as well (Rolbal), standard when starting at 8am.

Comment

If I offer you a whisky and you ask for it with milk at my house, a loud tsek will echo in my head and you'll be served with milky nesquik. i'll assure you it's whisky and milk and wont budge from my point of view. we won't be friends and you'll not be invited over again. heathen.

Comment

If I offer you a whisky and you ask for it with milk at my house, a loud tsek will echo in my head and you'll be served with milky nesquik. i'll assure you it's whisky and milk and wont budge from my point of view. we won't be friends and you'll not be invited over again. heathen.
                      Haha.. can't actually remember when last I had one.

Comment

LOL I hear you. I guess something like White Horse can only be improved with milk though, so eh?

As a PS, I enjoy my whiskies in a Glencairn-style glass, neat, sometimes with a drop of water or in rare cases, an ice cube.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                          LOL I hear you. I guess something like White Horse can only be improved with milk though, so eh?

As a PS, I enjoy my whiskies in a Glencairn-style glass, neat, sometimes with a drop of water or in rare cases, an ice cube.
                          Glencairn neat for me. A drop of water in rare occasions. I jest a bit, but it reminds me when we had my sons mates folks over for a barbie. I offered a Lagavulin 12y, not the very best but an agreeable peat and the bloke took one sip and then added coke. Needless to say, I put it away and gave him free rein of the castle lites in the fridge.

Comment

I offered a Lagavulin 12y, not the very best but an agreeable peat and the bloke took one sip and then added coke.

Comment

LOL. I'm starting to lean more and more to the peated whiskies these days. I used to be a Lowland/Speyside guy, loving the lighter, delicate, sweet whiskies a lot, but these days I'm going back to bourbons and specially the peated ones like Ardbeg 10. My favourite so far is the Uigeadial, but it's quite pricey unfortunately. That's actually the one I want to copy and try to make in my still, and also the flavour I want to try and hit with this stout. In other words, peaty sweetness.

Comment

Working...
                              X