Smokey oaked stout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Islay all the way :-)
    My go to bourbon is still Bulleit, cheap and cheerful. Knob creek is alright, but at 100 proof / 50% abv it's just not a neat sipper, you need water.
    Well at least you have a name for it "Peaty sweet" I'd say desert stout. Do a peated dry irish and backsweeten with condensed milk ;-)

Comment

Let people enjoy their poison the way they like ... there is no right or wrong way to enjoy your drink and if you want to mix it with diesel, then so be it ... if it's not my thing I can easily say " no thank you" ....

The same goes for anything that passes over the tongue to reach the stomach ... ITS MY TONGUE ... i will decide !!
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
        Well at least you have a name for it "Peaty sweet" I'd say desert stout. Do a peated dry irish and backsweeten with condensed milk ;-)
        Stupid question - but condensed milk will ferment, so this will only work with a kegged beer, which I don't have access to, no?

Hence, lactose.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
          Let people enjoy their poison the way they like ... there is no right or wrong way to enjoy your drink and if you want to mix it with diesel, then so be it ... if it's not my thing I can easily say " no thank you" ....

The same goes for anything that passes over the tongue to reach the stomach ... ITS MY TONGUE ... i will decide !!
          for sure, i agree 100% however, my example was that i offered something i enjoy to someone else. i wasnt forcing it. the very least someones tongue can do is try it how it's meant to be had, a single wont kill you. it's perfectly fine to not like specific tastes and decline it too. i did mention to the bloke beforehand that it's a peated whisky and not many people like it, using descriptive phrases like "bakelite, cigar ash, etc" anyway, it's in the same vein as people adding salt to a dish before tasting it, just a bit you know, uncouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
            Stupid question - but condensed milk will ferment, so this will only work with a kegged beer, which I don't have access to, no?

Hence, lactose.
            you're right, you need to start kegging mate. there's a time in a young mans life when he says "f...it i'm getting a kegging rig" it's a date to remember and celebrated like your wedding anniversary, just more useful :-D

Comment

Yeah probably right. Damn my wife's not going to like this. Will have to save up though. Guess I gotta balance shooting chrony vs kegging rig.

Comment

Spread it over time, as soon as the keg/s arrive then you should have everything else ready. No need to cut your throat for it though

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah think I'll start looking around for bargains. CO2 bottle here, regulator there, some beer line now, gas line then, etc. Kegs are the most expensive part, and I know myself, I'm going to want a few of them at least. I mean I have a few extra bottles at home now. Probably around 400 or so, but I still want more. I'd hate being in a position where I can't fill bottles or kegs because I have no space

Comment

Hence, lactose.
                    https://blackoystercatcher.co.za/pro...ie-stout-cans/

I would love to know how they did that. It's the nicest stout I have ever had.

Comment

Probably boosted it with a lot of roasted malts and lactose to make it like condensed milk. Highly doubt there's actual condensed milk in there. I've made a sweet, coffee-forward stout before and it was frigging awesome, but I'm trying something else with this new idea of mine.

Comment

Yeah think I'll start looking around for bargains.
                        Get hold of Bevan from https://draughtcraft.co.za/, his prices are good.

Comment

Back to topic.

Thinking of merely doubling up my existing sweet stout recipe, with some tweak. It's low in roasted notes and has a nice chocolate flavour I want in the final product. I'll also swap out the hops to include a fruity late addition to simulate the light fruity notes in the whisky.

So here's what I'm thinking:

6kg Pale Malt
                          0.5kg peated malt (this number needs thinking)
                          0.5kg Oats
                          0.75kg Chocolate Malt
                          0.4kg Roasted Barley
                          0.5kg CaraMunich 1 OR Goldswaen Brown (I have both, will do some taste tests between the malts and decide on this)
                          0.5kg Lactose (still in two minds about this)

To boost ABV I might add half a kilo or so of regular brown sugar. Perhaps even a tiny bit of molasses. Some input would be appreciated on the molasses - never added it to a beer before.

I'm aiming for 1.090 OG at least, without the lactose addition. If I can get to 1.100 I'd be really happy.

Hops, I'm going to use whatever I have to get to around 25 IBUs at 60 minutes. Sommer some T90 I still have around here. It works well in other beers and provides a very cheap way to get a smooth bitterness at 60 minutes.

Late addition hops will be a 5-minute addition of something nice and fruity. I've got some African Queen I'm keen to try, but I'm not sure if those berry flavours is what I'm after. I'd like a more tropical fruit hop, but I don't have any on hand and I really don't want to buy another packet of hops right now. I think I might have some S.Passion, which will work well. Perhaps 50/50 S.Passion and African Queen.

For yeast I'll be using an English Ale yeast, medium attenuation perferably. Ferment low and slow, probably near the lower end of the yeast's temp range for 2 weeks or so, and then slowly raise to complete. Then I'll cold crash for a week or so, and then pitch into a fresh cube with the oak to sit for several months before bottling. I'll probably stick it in the pantry until winter comes.

So, ideas, tips, tricks and things to look for when making a beer like this?

Comment

1) add the lactose, otherwise it will be dry and the peated/roasted barley will kill your palate
                            2) take medium roast oak chips, put 70% white spirit on the chips, allow to age, add to SECONDARY, this can also boost your ABV post ferment
                            3) we use dextrose to push the ABV, this thins out the mouthfeel a little, so the oats is a good move
                            4) those roasted and peated malt percentages are quite high, you might get an ashtray flavour
                            5) avoid molasses in any quantities (cough syrup notes, BTDTBTTS), rather use dark sugar
                            6) you can dissolve lactose in hot water and add to secondary/keg if you find the stout too dry, also done that

Comment

Agree with jakes,
                              I'd reduce the peat and roasted barley to 1/5 or at most 1/2 of what you have.
                              If you're going to add lactose, do it - it's my personal dislike and shouldn't keep you from adding it.
                              No to molasses, keep that for your rum. I've seldom heard of a good beer with a molasses addition
                              I wouldn't bounce the abv with sugar, if you're inclined to do it, look at maltose/dme. Sucrose will work, I'm just not a fan.
                              I'd also suggest east kent goldings and or fuggles / willamette and or mt hood. I can't marry fruity hops and a smoky stout in my mind. Hops tend to take the backseat on stouts.

Comment

1. Thanks, yeah I was thinking that. Will also help mouthfeel and body if it thins too much with dextrose/sugar.
                                2. I've got some oak I used to make whisky and rum before. Different levels of toast, different levels of char, some single use, some double use, so I'm going to use all of them. They all smell amazing.
                                3. Thanks, I've grown quite fond of oats in my brews purely because of that mouthfeel.
                                4. That's the kind of advice I'm looking for. I see they mention peated malt up to 10% of the grain bill, and I'm well below that. I'll halve the roasted malt then.
                                5. Thanks. Will skip it completely.
                                6. Will keep this in mind. I've done this before as well on a previous brew, and I'll just get some extra lactose to keep on hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X