No announcement yet.

My first lager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so i just cuecked my yeast package. Liquid culture bohemian rhapsody LC010 temp range 8 - 12.

8 now that sounds low and slow

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd pitch at 9 and leave it there for a week, and then slowly raise to 11 and finish at 15 (after activity and krauzen drops).

Comment

Sounds like a plan.

Comment

Happily bubbling away. Although very slowly at 9.5C

Comment

So time to update the forum.
            But its not the update you are expecting.
            I had a break in in my lapa. Where all my brewing kit. Beer and garden equipment is stored. Luckily they avoided the house.

BUT. All my lager is gone. I never even got a taste.

Comment

Oh shit bud! That sucks. Assholes stole your brew! Did they take your brew equipment as well?

Im so sorry that is some proper bs

Comment

Na. They have no use for that. Just looking for a buzz. And some easy to carry blower and edge trimmer. Some extensions.
                So at least i can make more.

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                  So time to update the forum.
                  But its not the update you are expecting.
                  I had a break in in my lapa. Where all my brewing kit. Beer and garden equipment is stored. Luckily they avoided the house.

BUT. All my lager is gone. I never even got a taste.

Motherfnckers
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Aaaww crap. Maybe next time leave some bottles with SAB and hydrochloric acid stashed in a corner. 'They' might be back sometime.
                    AlexBrew
                    Last edited by AlexBrew; 5 December 2020, 12:43.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                      Aaaww crap. Maybe next time leave some bottles with SAB and hydrochloric acid stached in a corner. 'They' might be back sometime.

Ha Ha, great idea let the motherfnckers suffer.
                      Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                        During the winter I made couple of pilsners - because of the lower ambient temperatures for fermentation.
                        I made:
                        1. 100% pilsner malt with magnum for bittering and saaz hops for flavour/aroma (21 IBU) - turned out to be ok, but not wow.
                        2. 100% pilsner malt with magnum and Hersbrucker hops (27 IBU) - winner.
                        3. 88% pilsner, 6% carapils, 6% munich light 1 with magnum bittering and mittelfruh and tettnager for falvouring/aroma (23 IBU) - very smooth drinking beer, but not much character to it.

These were recipies I got from the internet. If I'll make a pilsner style again I diffenitely use Hersbrucker again. It had a very crisp taste. It was a kind of beer that if friends drank it,, they would say "did you make this?"

I used Saflager 34/70 with everyone of them.

I brewed a Bohemian Pilsner two days ago with 80% Pilsen malt, 10% Munich 1 and 10% Carapils with Magnum for bittering and Saaz for flavour/aroma and used Saflager 34/70.
                        This is my first attempt at a Pilsner, I've been brewing ales with US-05 and Kveik Ragnarok. The recipe suggests fermenting at a constant 12 degrees. The airlock started bubbling after about 18 hours, and is steady but not continuous. I guess that is to be expected at the lower temperature. The recipe says two to three weeks to complete fermentation, now I have a few questions:
                        1. My OG was a bit higher than the recipe or Beersmith anticipated (1,061 vs 1,051). Is this going to be a problem for the yeast?
                        2. How important is it to keep fermenting at 12 degrees? Brulosophy did an experiment (link here) and didn't find much difference between a split batch fermented at 10 degrees and 21 degrees respectively using Saflager 34/70 (and he ramped up the colder one to the warmer temperature when 50% attenuation was reached).
                        3. I added half a gram of servomyces yeast nutrient 10min before the end of the boil. It's my first time using it (I always used DAP). Will this be sufficient to keep the yeast going to full attenuation? The batch size is 22 l
                        4. How well does Saflager 34/70 flocculate? I added Brewbrite at 15g/Hl 15min before the end of the boil. Cloudy ales don't bother me, but it'd be nice if the pilsner is clear. Can I fine with normal gelatin or do I need a special kind?

Any advice would be appreciated

Comment

From an ale point of view.
                          1 dilute it before bottling, the beer does not have the body and flavor to support a 6% abv.
                          2 ive never needed yeast nutrients, so I think youll be fine with what you added.
                          3 temp control seems to be more important then absolute temp. So keep it from swinging and you will not pick up yeast flavor
                          4 normal gelatin from any store. Obviously not the flavored kind. The internet is full of how to use it.

Comment

I brewed my pilsners at around 12°C ambient temperature.
                            The fermentis Saflager W-34/70 pdf (https://fermentis.com/wp-content/upl...ger-W-3470.pdf) also calls for 12°C .. My beers where also in the 6% range - maybe that's why they didn't taste all that great. Makes sense 6% too much for the thin pilsner body.

Comment

I made a Marzen, with half pils, half vienna and 250g each CaraMunich 1 and Goldswaen Brown. It's a rich, dark beer and I don't even think it'll live up to the estimated 6.1% ABV it seems to be heading at.

Comment

+1 Agree steady temps seem to give best results, as well as no real need for the yeast nutrients with this grain bill. I have only used 34/70 twice. It seemed to take a bit longer than US05 (my staple) but it did clear well, even without gelatine, but I would still use gelatine if you want to give it a helping hand.

I would tend to just leave the beer as a 6% ABV Pilsner. Cos you are going to be diluting everything. flavour, bitterness etc. Its also a bit of a personal thing, I dilute just about every step in my brewday, but I dont like to water down after fermentation. Thats not to say its not done.
                                Cheers,
                                Lang
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Working...
                                X