Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile kegging issues?

Hi,
    Does anyone know what the issues are with a mobile kegging system like a jockey box?
    If you travel with it does it have foam issues?

Sent from my ART-L29 using Tapatalk
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

I know nothing of a jockey box, but i did travel with a keg once. It sucks, i kicked up so much trub we couldn't drink it and i looked like an idiot logging my keg around that we couldn't drink.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

How about clearing the beer in the keg, and then transferring into another keg you can lug around?

Comment

I use a jockey box with a chill plate and happy to take it along to a function.

The only schlep with a chill plate setup is that it only comes into it's own when you start pouring lots of beers. I have found that if I have someone over for beers, the first beer I pour is not as cold as the following beers. When having only a single beer, the beer is not always as cold I would like it to be. I need to look for a fridge and keep the jockey box as backup.

Another thing is with my last Pale Ale, it was in the 50l keg for about a month (at room temp), and it was not as nice this last weekend as it was before, would it have been better if I stored it in a fridge? Don't know, but I'm willing to try it.

Comment

Fin your beer and cold crash with gelatin in the fermenter and what you transfer to the keg should be pretty much free of trub.

Even the last pour in my kegs is clear enough to be quite drinkable.

I also don't transfer every bit of beer out of the fermenter into the kegs. My batch size is such that after transferring to kegs there is normally enough beer in the fermenter for about 6-8 440ml bottles (so I have bottles for outings too). This probably helps ensure that what goes into the kegs has no trub.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post
            I use a jockey box with a chill plate and happy to take it along to a function.

The only schlep with a chill plate setup is that it only comes into it's own when you start pouring lots of beers. I have found that if I have someone over for beers, the first beer I pour is not as cold as the following beers. When having only a single beer, the beer is not always as cold I would like it to be. I need to look for a fridge and keep the jockey box as backup.

Another thing is with my last Pale Ale, it was in the 50l keg for about a month (at room temp), and it was not as nice this last weekend as it was before, would it have been better if I stored it in a fridge? Don't know, but I'm willing to try it.
            Yep. A beer's lifetime is greatly affected by its storage temp. A quick google will give you all the specifics

Comment

Originally posted by atunguyd View Post
              Fin your beer and cold crash with gelatin in the fermenter and what you transfer to the keg should be pretty much free of trub.

Even the last pour in my kegs is clear enough to be quite drinkable.

I also don't transfer every bit of beer out of the fermenter into the kegs. My batch size is such that after transferring to kegs there is normally enough beer in the fermenter for about 6-8 440ml bottles (so I have bottles for outings too). This probably helps ensure that what goes into the kegs has no trub.

I used to do that as well, but bottling those few bottles is a PITA, so these days my batch sizes are 20L ... just enough for a keg.

I fill a few bottles from keg if i need to take a some to a braai ... dragging a keg around is NOT what they're made for ... Different story if you take one on a weekend camp, but just for one night ... BIG no-no.
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Thinking of filling a 2L growler or so out of the keg to take to a braai is even easier than a a few bottles.

Comment

I have bottles and a party keg and growlers.
                  Spoilt for choice...
                  But I think the party keg is best. Gets more attention at a braai. People like the idea of on tap.

I fill it from my kegs at home the screw in the dispenser and add those small CO2 cylinders

atunguyd
                  Last edited by atunguyd; 26 October 2020, 20:14.

Comment

Working...
                  X