Infection in my fermentor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infection in my fermentor

Couple weeks ago I brewed 2.5 x 5gal Killer Hop Pale Ale .. week ago I bottled the batch .. but in the process disturb a lot of the trub and decanted the remaining 2 carboys into the one - hoping that the trub would settle and I can collect another 10litres (or so it seemed at the time) .. so a week after that, today, wanted to collect and found a bunch of golf ball sized bubbles floating on the top and smelled a bit muf. I then realised that infection has taken place due to oxidation and ditched the lot down the sink.

Then I came to the conclusion that decanting wort into another vessel obviously airates the whole lot and starts vrotting. Thinking about it now .. dhuuh.

Anyway, just saying. Another lesson learned.

Just btw - with all these lessons I'm learning lately I must be getting very clever.. In fact I have a buddy who seems to knows everything .. you know the one who talks a lot .. but when I started to talk to him about beer and brewing - I realised he actually doesn't know much.

Sanitation. The aerating isn't ideal for the beer, but shouldn't in itself cause an infection like that.

Sucky anyway to have to dump beer
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Yeah, it's a sanitization issue, not an oxygen issue. Oxygen causes oxidation, which is mostly just stale taste. Infection is something else.

Comment

Yea, I think its just all that trub/yeast from both fermenters that was sitting at room temp that went vrot.

It will happen to any fermenter that you leave out after bottling. You need to store the trub/yeast cold straight after bottling. I know you were hoping the trub would settle so you could get more beer out of it, but I think there was way to much in suspension and the cells in contact with the surface of the liquid got infected at room temp ... Well that what Im thinking at least
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Yea .. something like that - trub got aerated at room temperature - and was getting hotter over the last couple weeks - think midweek was like 30degC. Perfect environment for rotting. Anyway, like I said, lesson learned - I won't be doing that again.
          I must really look towards a chest freezer for fermentation.. I could have plonked the said fermenter in there on say 5 deg. Suspeded trub would have settle in a day and beer would have been good.

Or one could have added bit of sugar/dextrose to get fermentation going again - that might have saved it too.

Anyway, I managed to get 28litres of beer. Had one tester yesterday .. yum

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
            Yea .. something like that - trub got aerated at room temperature - and was getting hotter over the last couple weeks - think midweek was like 30degC. Perfect environment for rotting. Anyway, like I said, lesson learned - I won't be doing that again.
            I must really look towards a chest freezer for fermentation.. I could have plonked the said fermenter in there on say 5 deg. Suspeded trub would have settle in a day and beer would have been good.

Or one could have added bit of sugar/dextrose to get fermentation going again - that might have saved it too.

Anyway, I managed to get 28litres of beer. Had one tester yesterday .. yum
            It already had alcohol in it, if it got infected or went vrot, no amount of sugar or dextrose was going to save it

Sorry to hear about the infection but fortunately it was post bottling and your loss was 'minimal'.

Comment

Infections suck, I've only had one, and it wasn't my brew. Be sure to clean your kit properly before using again.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                Infections suck, I've only had one, and it wasn't my brew. Be sure to clean your kit properly before using again.
                Jip, will do. Percarbonate and Idophor.
                The yeast cake I chucked as well.. no use keeping that - it will just spoil your next brew.

Comment

Working...
                X