No announcement yet.

False bottoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would def go for the pipe over the basket as well.
    I think it provides better extraction as the liquid has to flow past all of the malt to get "out" at the bottom, as opposed to a basket(or bag for that matter) that allows for wort to escape anywhere along the sides?

For my CaterPride 50L
    1. Outer diameter 340mm
    2. Top to bottom of basket 340mm
    3. standoff/ leg height 60mm

The urn has a total height of 500mm and width of ~355mm. I figured the pipe should be a bit smaller to allow the lid to close as well (hence not specing it at 500mm height)

So, those are some quick measurements for reference... but i'm not sure how much, or little, space is recommended around the pipe as well as if there is some limit in terms of its height.
    I get that the higher it is the more malt it will take, but overflow needs to be considered in the event of a slow/stuck circulation?

@BOMB: How do you handle slow circulation or wort build-up? or do you have an overflow mechanism for it?

EDIT: i didn't factor in my diptube height and updated measurements
    CaPunT
    Last edited by CaPunT; 3 November 2020, 13:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
      <>

As a quick poll, what would be the ideal size for most of you wrt:

1. Outer diameter_290mm_ (opening on Keggle is about 298mm)
      2. Top to bottom of basket_340mm_ (From opening at the top to just above pickup tube)
      3. standoff/ leg height_60mm_ (From top of pickup tube to bottom of keggle)

<>
      This is on MY 50L Keggle.
      A Malt-pipe might be a better option than the basket ...

BIG QUESTION NOW:
      How much grain does this basket hold & Will the same amount of water still cover all the grain in the basket as it did with a bag ... with a bag its easy cause it can go lower .... unless I remove the diptube so the basket sits lower, but then have a bigger deadspace below the tap ?? .... hmmmm decisions
      JIGSAW
      Last edited by JIGSAW; 3 November 2020, 13:23. Reason: Spelling
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Weird. I see that exact same basket being sold by Brewcraft for R695 and Electronicpro.co.za for R6423 [with 50% discount!]. I dont think you would get a custom one for close to R700.

Maybe you just need to get a grinder and grind your keggle 3mm bigger Jigsaw!
        Langchop
        Last edited by Langchop; 3 November 2020, 13:58. Reason: Nevermind, looks like the 310 is the diameter, not 300mm
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
          This is on MY 50L Keggle.
          A Malt-pipe might be a better option than the basket ...

BIG QUESTION NOW:
          How much grain does this basket hold & Will the same amount of water still cover all the grain in the basket as it did with a bag ... with a bag its easy cause it can go lower .... unless I remove the diptube so the basket sits lower, but then have a bigger deadspace below the tap ?? .... hmmmm decisions
          Hmmm, I see now that a basket will probably have the advantage of better coverage if mashing in with lower water volumes - just like a bag.
          A pipe will almost certainly need recirculation in order to be more effective?

I currently BIAB and have recirculation but I would be lying if I said the water drains from top to bottom. I can see that a lot drains from the sides at the top...

Comment

Weird. I see that exact same basket being sold by Brewcraft for R695 and Electronicpro.co.za for R6423 [with 50% discount!]. I dont think you would get a custom one for close to R700.

Maybe you just need to get a grinder and grind your keggle 3mm bigger Jigsaw!
            Huh Link ?

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
              Huh Link ?
              Only 12 hours left. Get the deal now

https://www.electronicpro.co.za/prod...29835162222636

srertdfg.PNG
              Cheers,
              Lang
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

It's a super deal. Just check the awesome features:

Description:
                This Brewing Grain Basket Hop Spider Kettle ,is Suitable For All of filtering.

Specification:
                Color: Silver
                Material: Stainless Steel
                Size(Dia x H): 310x300mm
                Micron: 300
                Suitable For: All of filtering

Features:
                - Made of stainless steel, durable
                - Lightweight, non-slip, nice, good filtration performance
                - Capacity, wide application
                - Corrosion resistance, heat resistance, pressure resistance, good wear resistance,
                and can be repeated washing and long life.
                -Stainless steel filter core vent uniformity and precise filtering accuracy;
                -Stainless steel filter unit area of large flow;
                -Stainless steel filter is suitable for low temperature, high temperature environment,
                can be used after cleaning

I like that it's suitable for all of filtering and can be used after cleaning.

Comment

Only 12 hours left. Get the deal now
                  I see they also have a few other things on "special" "deals" etc. which hardly come close to anything like that

Comment

aaaaaaahahaha i went and found it after reading Lang's post about it. nearly fell of my chair.

For that amount we can get 3 custom made malt pipes

Comment

Im shocked, It's "Sold Out"

Comment

I thought you missed the coma. Clicked the link. That must be some fancy steel

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Typical of those importer's sites. They simply take a number they find online and add a silly markup. Same as ImportItAll and WantItAll.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                            Try catering supplies shops like Margot swiss
                            They sell aluminium pizza oven trays. Cut the shape you want with a grinder. Holes are perfect size for full grain setups aswell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Would something like this work of you just add some legs?

https://catercare.co.za/products/piz...m=product_sync

Comment

Originally posted by BruHaha View Post

Bliksem, those look legit. Should be able to work nicely in a malt bucket as a base.

Comment

Originally posted by BruHaha View Post

That is n legit cost effective option. Would have been the perfect size. Thanks for the link

Comment

Working...
                                X