False bottoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False bottoms

So let's talk false bottoms.. What is everyone using? I managed to burn my brand new bag and hop bag this morning when I brewed my Dunkel Hefeweizen. so yay me.

I would like to not repeat having to scoop grain out of the boil kettle. I've heard of people using stainless steel colianders or braai grids. Need Ideas lads coz I aint burning any other bags.

Also I'm using a cheap plastic boil kettle while I'm waiting for my urn, seems I managed to break it on the second brew. The boil Dry protection is always triggered now, Guess who had to hold the button in for an hour so I could get my beer made. Any one know how to bypass it easily?

I use a teapot stand. I dunno if it's SS, but it's been working for a long time. Places like Mr Price Home should have.

Regarding that boil kettle, I fixed mine by opening up the thing, removing the spring that pushes it out, pushed it in and stuffing it with Pratley Steel Epoxy. So now it's glued into the "keep boiling, dammit" position. It works. Mine also broke after the second boil or so, kept clicking off when the water hit something silly like 45°C.

Comment

Use a bucket, I'm never looking back

https://www.wortsandall.co.za/showth...ll=1#post30160

Comment

Don't know why I have never had the boil dry cutout issue with my two blue boilbuckets whereas others have. I must have gotten lucky.

On the false bottom, I used grids and colanders but felt they took up to much space, so eventually replaced it with a small laser cut grid that just clips around the element itself. Been happy with that so far.
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

I hade this made by by puresteel in Killarney gardens for R230 (I think). 30cm diameter and stainless. Added a couple of bolts and it works great so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
            Use a bucket, I'm never looking back

https://www.wortsandall.co.za/showth...ll=1#post30160
            I'm keen to experiment with this, but by urn's diameter is juuust too narrow for a normal 25l plastic bucket to clear the widest top piece of the bucket. I'm going to have to try and trim down a bucket. Did you ever try a bucket with just drilled holes or do you go straight for that metal false bottom insert?

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
            Don't know why I have never had the boil dry cutout issue with my two blue boilbuckets whereas others have. I must have gotten lucky.

On the false bottom, I used grids and colanders but felt they took up to much space, so eventually replaced it with a small laser cut grid that just clips around the element itself. Been happy with that so far.
            That sounds interesting - how is it held in place? Does it clip to the actual element? Or does it just clip in place around the element?

Comment

Originally posted by Rikusj View Post
              I hade this made by by puresteel in Killarney gardens for R230 (I think). 30cm diameter and stainless. Added a couple of bolts and it works great so far.
              That looks great
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Did you ever try a bucket with just drilled holes or do you go straight for that metal false bottom insert?

I went straight for the BM20 parts. I was lucky they fitted perfectly in the bucket and the bucket in turn with the urn

Comment

That looks awesome, and they are fairly close to me so can just pop round and get it sorted.

I'm keen to experiment with this, but by urn's diameter is juuust too narrow for a normal 25l plastic bucket to clear the widest top piece of the bucket. I'm going to have to try and trim down a bucket. Did you ever try a bucket with just drilled holes or do you go straight for that metal false bottom insert?

That sounds interesting - how is it held in place? Does it clip to the actual element? Or does it just clip in place around the element?
                  +1 what he asked.

I like the bucket idea as well was just not keen on spending almost 1k on the SS Grid from beer plus.

you guys are quite nifty with the figuring out DIY solutions, If it doesn't come with a keyboard I'm a bit lost

Comment

It doesnt really clip, but because I sized it smaller than planned it actually landed up a nice sliding fit. But it stays in place by virtue of how it "hooks" over the round element.
                    IMG_20201029_165234.jpg
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                      It doesnt really clip, but because I sized it smaller than planned it actually landed up a nice sliding fit. But it stays in place by virtue of how it "hooks" over the round element.
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]2757[/ATTACH]
                      That looks legit!!

I can see where it hooks into the element at the back, that wont really work for the basterfield urn, I think the element comes out the bottom!!. Thanks for sharing that is a heavy duty solution that should last forever.

Comment

This is awesome. I frigging love this! SS?

Comment

agreed. that grid looks top notch. is it SS ?
                          i need to find something similar as I have a cheap workaround and although it protects my bag, it doesn't allow for a proper flow over the element.

EDIT: i see you say it is Stainless...

Comment

That is damn nice. When you say 'made'.... they can make it to an size you need?
                            Cheers,
                            Lang
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Yup - all stainless - https://www.puresteel.co.za/index.html

Yes - they can make it up for the diameter you need. They don't list the round grids on their website as it's not a standard stock item, but just ring them up and ask for a quote. They input the diameter into a program and quote you on the spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X