Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Good on them, i see a lot of their products now shows sold out
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Good on them, i see a lot of their products now shows sold out
    Bugger, I missed it

Looks like KetelKraal got theirs in today, R12500.

So, just a little review of my Benoni All in One 45lt system(refered to as BB, for Benoni Brew).
    I took delivery of the box on 27.11 2020.
    Unpacked,checked and all parts are in the box, GTG spent the evening setting up everything
    All fitted and im sitting back enjoying a brew while admiring this shiny new beast, my wife arrives home from work gave it a look in passing and says "oh nice, your gift arrived, can you stop looking at it and help me with supper"
    anyway, they wont understand

what's to like about BB
    Pros

Build looks and feels solid, parts fit nicely together(i'm in engineering, 0.01mm off/skew is unacceptable in my world) and i particularly looked for fit and feel.
    i like the glass lid now you can actually see the wort while mashing and how circulation goes. it actually fits the rim of the system perfectly and neither are out of round.
    i did a cleaning cycle with a low mixture oxydet to flush the system,rinsed and did another clean water cycle to test for boil off rate.
    the control panel is nice and solid, bells and notification alarms loud and clear, not distorted, although the step finish alarm bell drives the cats crazy
    the BB replaces my current system of no less than 6-9 pieces of equipment(mashtun,blanket/duvet,brew kettle,two tables,burner,gas tank,sparge bucket,sparge arm)
    Now i set up one table, two chairs and the BB
    this machine cut my brew day by two hours, i set up one vessel, i clean one vessel. yes there are parts to it but they are cleaned all within the BB. easy peasy
    the BB holds the mash temp accurately, going about 1 deg either way. i think the circ pump helps alot here.
    the 2500w element is plenty strong to get water/wort up to temp for mash/boil rather quickly
    after brewing and cleaning, everything fits back into the "kettle" for convenient storage.

whats bad about the BB
    the silicone seals(one at the recirc arm pipe and the other inside the bottom pipe that fits into the pump intake hole) took quite a bit of a beating with the hot liquid i dont see it lasting very long
    the BB stuggles to keep a vigorous boil, you have to play around with the element wattage output to get a nice constant boil, especially if you brew outside, a little bit of wind against the body of the BB will throw the temp off all the time. i see now why other systems use the insulation band. here the gas system wins, just crank the juice and boil on.
    if you gonna brew outside, make sure the system is well insulated otherwise you will wait forever to reach a boil.
    the system is set to boil at 100deg you cannot set a temp of 110deg, but you can override the system and adjust the programmed temp setting up or down by 10deg. so basically you can set the temp to 100deg and the machine will read it as 90deg, effectively giving you higher temps for vigorous boils.
    the BB has a huge dead space below the malt pipe, didnt measure yet but i did the mashes on the two brews with 20lt of strike water to comfortably accommodate the grains into water. so, this system is designed for bigger batches, it is a 45lt tank after all.
    here i quickly learned to do no sparge/ very low sparge brews, and guess what on both occasions i actually hit my OG 's spot on
    in fact the last brew i forgot to heat the sparge water, this system makes you lazy coz theres so little to watch, set the machine and go do something else.
    the top sparge plate only goes down to the end of the top overflow centerpipe, the bottom pipe is bigger than the hole in the top plate hence the plate cannot be pushed down onto the grains if you do a small 4-6kg grain mash.

the wort chiller needs longer arms, after boiling a 27lt batch only about 22 lt remains to be cooled. the wort chiller is only 3/4 way submerged as the bends in the arms prevent it from going further down unless you put the whole inside the pot but that brings the two quick connectors just inside the pot, too risky for me as i use JOJO tank water to chill and cant afford those conector to leak or pop off during chilling.

Overall impressions/ lessons learnt
    i like this piece of kit, for the price its good. I cannot however see them charging R13k as the normal price, i think the normal price should be in the 7-8k range. this is a mass produced item so the cost should not be that much.
    I cannot make a side by side comparison to other systems like a Grainfather or Brauermeister on build quality, ease of operation, etc.., but im happy with this "glorified urn"( like my wife calls it, shes just jealous coz her gift came in matchbox sized box compared to my box taking up a chair space in the lounge).
    Do not put this machine on a table to brew, unless you are 2.5m tall with crane like arms. lifting the malt pipe with 7-8kg of wet grains to drain off is gonna be hectic. I use two kitchen chairs which puts the BB just above waist height for me so easy lifting of the malt pipe.

ok so thats my short inexperienced review of the Benoni Brew 45lt system. Still got lots to learn but i am enjoying this learning curve. i can probably tweak and magyver lots of things to my liking or to make things easier but i wanted to write from a point of view where i buy something and have no access to make it better.
    two brews done on the BB currently fermenting/conditioning. A psuedo Pilsner with SAAZ hops only(Damnit this one is bitter from tasting a sample end ferment), and a Blonde ale for the hot summer days.
    looking forward to the BB's first brews

PS, maybe Jitters can do a small writeup about the grain mill he bought

Nice review and Thanks

I think the issue with the chiller you must take up with them, so they can maybe rethink the design and make the arms longer ?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Will post a review in the new year when I'm back home and can do a brew. Still need to test it out but did do a few modifcations already in prep for the brewday

Quote Originally Posted by Jitters View Post
    Will post a review in the new year when I'm back home and can do a brew. Still need to test it out but did do a few modifcations already in prep for the brewday
    Hey Jitters,

Just wondering how your brew went on this AIO system? Care to share your thoughts?
    I'm considering one as well.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HoboSpit View Post
    Hey Jitters,

Just wondering how your brew went on this AIO system? Care to share your thoughts?
    Thanks!
    Also got one (and chris s) , so far very happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_za1 View Post
    Also got one (and chris s) , so far very happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very nice!
    So I bit the bullet and got myself one of these today on special: https://letsbrew.co.za/product/brew-...ewing-machine/
    Been saving up for an AIO system cause I live in an apartment and it seems like the most cost+space effective. Any tips or QOL improvements you've figured out with your system so far?

Quote Originally Posted by HoboSpit View Post
    Hey Jitters,

Thanks!
    Sam just got me the corona mill, so not the AIO system. I promised to do a review and completely forgot

The corona mill has been a bit of an pain to get dialled in, crush was too fine the last 3 brews so my recirculation got stuck and then the final time I burned out my element.

I have it set to cc width at the moment but I think its too wide now as it took my nearly 2 hours to get 65% mash conversion.

I will tighten it up some more for the next brew and try again.

Its solidly constructed but you can see the machining is not 100% true so does require some modification to allow the plates to be more in alignment see below.

For R300 bucks it was well worth it, I now just have to get it set lekker.

Also you need to mod it a bit to have it all lined up. I added a few washers to the end cap to create a bit of space and added a bolt to allow me to run it with a drill.