No announcement yet.

Lallemand Kveik Voss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fermentors going nuts here ... like a rave party.. definitely in a hurry to get somewhere..

wanted to upload a video of the action - def something to watch how this trub is being churned around. Tho in my experiences US05 behaves similar... when 'hot' pitched.

Comment

Originally posted by BackOffMyBrew View Post
      Just save what's left after bottling/kegging. I did my usual 'dump into a container and plop in the fridge' - That's on its second brew currently
      Great stuff. I was hoping to use it again, but never tried it before. Will give it a go for sure

Comment

I've only done two brews with Lallamande Voss. The one was a pale and the other a dark. The pale one is very hazy (taste is great). Is this typical with Voss? I mostly use US05 at 18 degrees. The Voss I fermented at 35 degrees. As normal I cold crashed at 2.5 degrees for 3 days before kegging.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-A015F using Tapatalk

Comment

I've also done 2 batches with the same yeast, both were a bit hazy after cold crashing. I don't do any fining or gelatin treatment, not bothered. The beer still tastes great

Comment

Hazy this side also ... well, more than other yeast for that matter
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I also get hazy-ish beers with both Ragnarok and Midtbust (Liquid culture). I also obtained some dried voss (lallemand / brewmart and Mangrove jack's / brewcraft) but I've yet to use these.
              I have a boat load of harvested Midtbust (like, probably more than I can use) and then one each of the LC vials, 'oroginal' (not harvested) Ragnarok and Midtbust. There's a part of me that wants to mix a teaspoon of slurry of each together, make a starter of that and then see what happens with whatever comes out of that starter...

Comment

Yeah, I have only be en using Rag. and Mid. (apart from DIY Weizen for my Hefe) this year and they are both very NON-flocculant.
                This doesn't bother me at all though, i don't mind the Hazy APA/PA/IPA's.

I must agree that a mix of the two would be great. like fruits of the forest. The tropical with the citrus.

Try it and let us know how it turns out? just be careful though, obviously the Rag can go much higher than Mid. so keep temps around 28?

Comment

Sucky thing about Voss is, I can taste it in craft beer, that orange taste its pretty clear when a brewery used Voss

Comment

oslo at 25c is the cleanest you'll get in sa, the hotter the fermentation, the higher amount of esters. have you tried verdant yet?

Comment

Yea, my next few brews im going to try ferment between 20-30ºC (Voss)

I think I made about 11 brews on Voss so far .. all done between 30-40ºC and I must admit I would have enjoyed these beers more if they were fermented with my good ol' trusted US-05

If I don't like the beers done at a lower temp, Im kissing Voss goodbye and might try Oslo next
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I do both Voss and Skare at 25C, couldn't be bothered to ramp up the ferm fridge to get to 30C, it comes out clean and fast enough. I picked up verdant ipa yeast and will probably do david heaths verdant ipa soon. i need to finish off my mosaic and centennial so there's that. Oslo reminded me of my 34/70 and s04 mix I made a while back

https://recipe.brewfather.app/YnSOBj...jKSGVol0KT5mZd

Comment

Iv done 3 beers with this yeast now and I'm sure there is some user error and possible fermeter inflection but Im not enjoying the amount of farm house type taste im getting. Is everyone else getting the same? Is there a commercial example I can compare against? I'm ready to leave the quick turn around times behind for a more traditional beer finish

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

Comment

Ive tried Voss/ragnarok. Oslo and midthbust. Im back on us05. Thrown out all my kveik. I could have run a few more tests but even at 25c i got a distinct kveik taste. My storage and reuse was also not on point. Had 2x infections. I like beer to much to keep going that route

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by johncoram89 View Post
                              Iv done 3 beers with this yeast now and I'm sure there is some user error and possible fermeter inflection but Im not enjoying the amount of farm house type taste im getting. Is everyone else getting the same? Is there a commercial example I can compare against? I'm ready to leave the quick turn around times behind for a more traditional beer finish

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

Interesting.. What temp did you ferment at?

Comment

35, 30 and finally 25. Its not significant. And most people wont notice it but since i do it destroys the beer for me

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X