Lallemand Kveik Voss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
    Ive tried Voss/ragnarok. Oslo and midthbust. Im back on us05. Thrown out all my kveik. I could have run a few more tests but even at 25c i got a distinct kveik taste. My storage and reuse was also not on point. Had 2x infections. I like beer to much to keep going that route

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

pressure ferments will also give you a faster turnaround time. in addition esters are muted, but do also try verdant for a 'normal' ferment.
    i found that voss ferments fast, but takes longer to clean

Comment

Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
      Interesting.. What temp did you ferment at?
      Iv done a range now with similar results 32, 30 and finally 25

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
        35, 30 and finally 25. Its not significant. And most people wont notice it but since i do it destroys the beer for me

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
        Snap

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

Comment

I was planning on brewing a repeat of my amarillo / citra pale ale I recently did and was considering using Voss rather than us05... I've read online that Voss adds an orange peel / citrussy character. Is that the taste being referred to?

Comment

I'm currently drinking a APA but on the amber side with VOSS. I did a previous batch with US05 and was IMO more refreshing. I find the VOSS has a sweaty socks with maybe a hint of DMS aftertaste. If you think of oranges - think of the squashed over ripe (vrot) one in the bag. This was my opinion a week or so ago, I haven't mentioned this before .. but now that others are having their say .. I might as well chirp in.
            I've got a Sierra Nevada clone PA in bottled a couple days back, also with VOSS, will see how that turns out.

EDIT: I just put a 2 day old SNPA in the fridge.. Report back later..
            AlexBrew
            Last edited by AlexBrew; 23 December 2020, 18:07.

Comment

How many times have you repitched on the yeast cake? Is this specific to lallemand kveik or liquid culture too? Biotransformation is a thing too, I've never gotten vrot orange or sweaty socks from it though

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

20201222_091542.jpg

I'm assuming that there's a 10% trub wastage - this on a 45 litre batch.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                  How many times have you repitched on the yeast cake? Is this specific to lallemand kveik or liquid culture too? Biotransformation is a thing too, I've never gotten vrot orange or sweaty socks from it though

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
                  The American Amber Pale Ale was with a new packet of VOSS that I then cultured with DME to make enough for 45 litre batch - I posted a pic of the procedure maybe a month ago. I then washed and repitched for the Sierra Nevada PA, brewed 2 weeks ago ?? bottled this Monday.

The vrot orange or sweatry socks is an over-exageration of what it really is. It's just to highlight the taste difference. My experience with US05 is that it leaves a really clean taste - this VOSS is different - let's call it farmhouse.. mmm ryk en lekker.

Edit: think of it slighty musky.
                  AlexBrew
                  Last edited by AlexBrew; 23 December 2020, 19:20.

Comment

The SNPA is very drinkable .. burp!! .. exactly
                    2 days in the bottle - I guess makes the best bachellor's party beer.

She says: I'm going to make punch.
                    You said: I'm going to make beer.
                    She said: Really !
                    You said: Yes.
                    AlexBrew
                    Last edited by AlexBrew; 24 December 2020, 08:49.

Comment

Im not good at pulling a beer apart, so im not 100% what im tasting or not tasting. I don't get orange tho ? ... or maybe I do but cant distinct it?

Like I said in post #25 I'm now fermenting at 25ºC ... fermentation was also done within 2-3 days

Im letting it sit for a few days longer ... will keg on Saturday maybe.

I miss the clean ferment/taste from US-05

@Spook How many beers have you made with Verdant? ... what's your take?

EDIT: Come to think about it, most of the beers I made with Voss was APA/IPA. so very hoppy beers with plenty late/whirlpool hops. I might try a very low IBU blonde next with no late editions to see it I get that orange ?
                      JIGSAW
                      Last edited by JIGSAW; 24 December 2020, 09:31. Reason: See Edit
                      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Ive seen some not so great reviews on the lallemand dry voss, do try the liquidcultue ragnarok voss before binning the idea maybe? they've cleaned it up quite a bit from the farmhouse version and iirc the lallemand voss is an farmhouse direct version. i haven't used the lallemand one yet, i have a packet somewhere.

@Jigsaw, I still need to run the verdant, is basically a london iii type yeast and supposedly throws apricot like esters, i'm doing an ipa with it - i havent made a proper ipa in a while, i''m not a fan of strong 6+% beers, anyway it's a quick fermenter at lower temps

On a side note, in a zoom with Christopher from LC a while ago, thye're bringing Stranda to the mix which is another great kveik, I can't recall if they have Skare coming, but Ebbegarden rings a bell in the lineup. The zoom was a while ago

Comment

Working...
                        X