• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like a graff? Half beer, half cider?

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Treeman View Post
      Slowly things come together, you old boys may forget how hard new is.
      I just got too understand "dry" "alcohol content" and sweetening and how its lost. A lot just came together in above post.

Is this dry pineapple necessarily "dry and unpleasant" or is it perhaps nice different nice but not like P/A Beer - or just plain "fok nee!"
      Okay maybe a bit of a biased view with my personal preference coming through there!
      I suppose one could happily enjoy a dry pineapple beer, but I think generally not.

Here's the big difference to beer wrt 'fermenting out':

Pineapple beer is mostly 'simple' sugars that yeast can easily eat and will ferment down to roughly 1.000 unchecked. That is dry and without body(literally thin and without much density)

Beer wort is made of simple as well as complex sugars. The yeast can only eat the simple sugars and leave most of the complex sugars behind, and typically ferments out to 1.008 to 1.015. that gives it retained sweetness, and fuller body.

So you can carbonate in bottles but you would need to let it ferment out and it would still be very dry. Perfect if that's what you are happy with but probably won't be too enjoyable. (With high dryness you probably won't taste much of the pineapple either)
      Langchop
      Last edited by Langchop; 23 November 2020, 07:02.
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

MMMnnn - looks like this attempt will be distilled then, guess I will try distill it with chopped pineapple in the wash and see what I get.

Comment

I often make cider for the wife using mostly apples a few pears and a couple of oranges.
          This usually ferments down to around 1.000 - 1.002.
          This is very dry in taste. Once fermentation is complete I add an unfermentable suger like Erythritol.
          BeerHolic
          Last edited by BeerHolic; 23 November 2020, 09:04.
          Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Alexb - GSasem, could you not add sugar, at 6/7 gr per liter like beer and carbonate in bottle, like a IPA or any other?
            Yes you can. It will carbonate , but the result will still be dry - actually would end up being dryer as the priming sugar will add and extra 0.3-0.4% abv to your brew. Could be nice - if that is what you want - it will end up being a sip-sip drink, rather than a thirst quencher. Alternatively you could add atrificial sweeteners at bottle priming - they wont ferment and leave you with a sweet drink. I haven't tried this myself. Certain sweeteners are better than others and too much of some will give you the shits (I've hard/read).

I am really interested in a beer thats Pine apple flavored, but a beer, not a half measure, a full real beer thats really Pine Apple, wonder if its possible?
            If you want this, then you'll have to make a brew with not too much added sugar, watch fermentation and when fermentation has slowed down (5-7 days - guessing) cold crash to halt fermentation and let the trub settle - bottle as is, no need to add priminmg sugar as there are enough simple sugars still remaining for the yeast to add carbonation. Then leave the bottles at room temp for 4 or so days and then you will HAVE TO refridgerate them again as they will turn into bottle bombs. .. I think. This last bit I have had no experience with - so am babbling conspiracy theories. Actually I might give this a go.

Comment

Erythritol is a sweetner. I did some research as to what is the best to use.
              Erythritol will not give you shits unless taken in large quantities, the amount I use to back sweeten the cider is far to low for it to be an issue.
              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

MMMnnn - looks like this attempt will be distilled then, guess I will try distill it with chopped pineapple in the wash and see what I get.
                a few things,
                - boil some pineapple and taste it, do you want this taste in your end product?
                - stilling with anything in the boiler will be biatch to clean when it burns to your bottom, dont do it, not worth it (with the exception of a thumper of course)
                - putting fresh pineapple in the vapor trail could be possible, see first point, dried pineapple could work but'll eventually just rehydrate
                - my 2c, ferment your pineapple wash, strain the fruit from it, do you strip and spirit run. taste, decide. bathe it with fresh pineapple at high abv for a few weeks if the taste isn't all there. dilute with water for 'brandy' or dilute with sugar syrup for liqueur.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
                  - my 2c, ferment your pineapple wash, strain the fruit from it, do you strip and spirit run. taste, decide. bathe it with fresh pineapple at high abv for a few weeks if the taste isn't all there. dilute with water for 'brandy' or dilute with sugar syrup for liqueur.
                  Use able advice, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                    What I did with my pineapple beer when it turned out dry (FG 0.996) and strong (15% abv) and had no residual carbonation - just mix 50/50 with lemonade or sprite with some eisch... it's naaaisch
                    Need more advice in this regard to above.
                    I am letting the P/A wash ferment till done, fermentation stops.
                    I then intend to add same sugar as for when priming beer (110 gr per 25 lt) and bottle it in quart bottles.
                    If to dry I will Lemonade it.

Please fault find this for me

Comment

Can't really

Comment

I then intend to add same sugar as for when priming beer (110 gr per 25 lt) and bottle it in quart bottles.
                        If to dry I will Lemonade it.
                        Please fault find this for me

Comment

When I started this pineapple throw together, it was very much a rush between doing things and getting on the road again.
                          In short, a few hours after pitching the yeast i realized I had not taken a OG reading.

The brew is now finished, and read.0960 at 22 cel
                          My alcohol meter shows 0 Alcohol at same temperature, I am lost and all my own fault.

The brew was 3.5 kg sugar per 20 lt and 1.5 big pineapples per 20 lt

please help, where am I at, what have I got?

Comment

Around 15% ?

Comment

Hard to tell without before and after readings (maybe I missed that in the thread).

Drink a glass and see what happens

Comment

Im assuming 1.080

Comment

Working...
                                X