Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Be gentle.. It's my first time (BIAB AG)

So planning the 1st brew in my newly acquired urn. I've read https://www.brewcabin.com/brew-in-a-bag/ for the process. Does that about sum it up?

I have no delusions of grandeur that this will be the perfect brew.... so what should I look out for and what notes should I be taking throughout the process to improve for the next one?
    Last edited by BruHaha; 26th November 2020 at 16:25.

Measure everything.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    Measure everything.
    Twice! And then write it down. And write everything down. Smell stuff, taste stuff... gather as much information as you can. Helps if you want to repeat something or troubleshoot if it doesn't go to plan... Speaking as a nooby with less than 10 brews under his belt, this helped me get to grips with the process much faster!!

Do you have a mash tun, or are you mashing in your urn? Be sure that your grain isnt milled too fine. if it has a lot of "flour", then sift it first.
    If too much of this flour gets through the bag and settles at the bottom, it will burn to the element and the batch will be ruined - trust me, it's not a fun lesson.

Put mug or metal cup in the freezer if you have one, this helps to get your pre-boil gravity sample chilled quickly so you can measure it(if wanting to make some potential corrections)

If you don't already have one, create a free Brewfather account, download the app and enter your recipe and steps to it. The app(or site) will help you along every step of your brew, along with reminders, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CaPunT View Post

Put mug or metal cup in the freezer if you have one, this helps to get your pre-boil gravity sample chilled quickly so you can measure it.
    This is s good tip. I never even thought that far ahead

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Don't set your expectations too high, have fun doing it and learn from each success and mistake.

And yes, document EVERYTHING

Thanks for the tips gents. Valuable advice @CaPunT.. appreciated.

I think I'm set, just need some squeezing gloves. Would something like this do? https://www.builders.co.za/Protectiv...00000000570173

Quote Originally Posted by BruHaha View Post
    Thanks for the tips gents. Valuable advice @CaPunT.. appreciated.

I think I'm set, just need some squeezing gloves. Would something like this do? https://www.builders.co.za/Protectiv...00000000570173
    No problem, and yep. I have a very similar red pair that I got for ~50 bucks at Makro.
    Last edited by CaPunT; 26th November 2020 at 22:39. Reason: spelling

Does those PVC gloves keep the heat out?

Screenshot_29.jpg

I'm looking for Silicone gloves to help with heat
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!