Yet another party keg thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another party keg thread

The wife is getting annoyed with having crates of SAB quarts lying around so I thought I would have a look at the party keg option since I am a bit hesitant to go with a full-on kegging system and building a keezer/kegerator thing, that said though I do have a few questions/concerns.

1) Can you reseal the party kegs? I usually have a beer or two a night and don't really want to end up having to drink an entire 5l every night.

2) how difficult are they to clean/maintain?

3) is the party star dispenser thingy needed or can you just use the built-in tap, this ties in with question 1 again with the resealing thing.

I am sure I will have more questions the more I delve into the rabbit hole.
    There once was a man from Nantucket.
    Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
    He put the wort into there,
    to cut down on the air.
    Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Dude if you were closer you could just take mine. Its not worth it in my opinion. But i used it without the party star and force carbing system so basically a big beer can that you have to empty once you start.
    One of the other guys will have to comment on the star,but it should work for dispensing over time

1) great to take to parties and you look like a boss doing so.
    2) i always rinced and dried mine so no corrosion issues altough some guys still report these with better cleaning routines then me.
    3) fill one rather then 15 bottles.
    4) full size kegs are better and neater

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, if you look at all the other threads on this, most say stay away.

Most brewers that got these are now on full keg systems and the mini kegs is just collecting dust.

I think the party-star dispenser is way overpriced and the money would be well spend towards full setup.

...but thats just me
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Agreed, those things are like r500 a pop? Thats 50% of a corny

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
          Agreed, those things are like r500 a pop? Thats 50% of a corny

Try almost R900

Screenshot_8.png

Comment

What? Lol.....no.

Comment

True the party star is half the cost of a corny, but with a corny, it's not just the keg, you need all the hoses, gas cylinders, etc. then a way of cooling down the keg so a fridge or freezer, it adds up quickly. Can get the party keg bundle from Beerplus for R1321 https://www.beerplus.co.za/product/p...dle-4/1823/186

That is 4 party kegs and the party star and all the handles etc. All in for R1321. a corny, I am looking at at least double that before I have a way of cooling down the keg. Not a huge fan of warm beer. I might go full kegging later in life, but while the economy is in shambles from covid, I would rather not spend a fortune right away.

For a comparison, https://www.brewkegtap.co.za/online-...tem-p209017043 almost R4k for a keg, regulator and hoses, that still excludes a gas bottle and a cooling solution.
              There once was a man from Nantucket.
              Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
              He put the wort into there,
              to cut down on the air.
              Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Comment

Originally posted by FriedPiggy View Post
                True the party star is half the cost of a corny, but with a corny, it's not just the keg, you need all the hoses, gas cylinders, etc. then a way of cooling down the keg so a fridge or freezer, it adds up quickly. Can get the party keg bundle from Beerplus for R1321 https://www.beerplus.co.za/product/p...dle-4/1823/186

That is 4 party kegs and the party star and all the handles etc. All in for R1321. a corny, I am looking at at least double that before I have a way of cooling down the keg. Not a huge fan of warm beer. I might go full kegging later in life, but while the economy is in shambles from covid, I would rather not spend a fortune right away.

For a comparison, https://www.brewkegtap.co.za/online-...tem-p209017043 almost R4k for a keg, regulator and hoses, that still excludes a gas bottle and a cooling solution.
                wow... that's a compelling argument (on the cost front)

Comment

Originally posted by FriedPiggy View Post

Yea sure, but i personally would definitely not pay that for those mini thingies.

I'd take half the money (±R600), give to wife and tell her to shut the opening she eats with and keep my bottles

Comment

Why not just use a decent growler to bottle? Thats about R300 for a 2lt, I think you get 3l ones as well.
                    Some blokes bottle in those 750ml bottles, could be an option? R1400 isn't a lot to waste, I mean spend on party kegs, but a proper keg lasts a bit longer

Comment

hi
                      I have both full 30lt kegs and 4 x 5lt mini kegs, the 30lt kegs are great once you are set up but you cannot cart them off to friends, the 5lt kegs can fit in a fridge, I have mine setup with the Grey bungs drilled to 6mm and a 35mm long motorcycle valve fitted into it, this then takes the bicycle inflator gadgets and a 12 gram CO2 cylinder. I can take as long as I want to drink the ale without oxidation. cheap to setup and a co2 cylinder lasts more than 1 fill. only problem is that there is no pressure regulation so care is needed. a bit of cooking oil smeared on the bung and it goes in easily and doesn't damage the mini keg.

Comment

You are going to end up buying a full keg setup in any case, start out with a 9L corney and those mini regulators with a party tap, new keg R1350, mini reg R600, party tap R50, meter hose R15? Thats just over R2k with stuff that has secondhand value and will outlast those kegs.

Comment

Originally posted by PaBz0r View Post
                          You are going to end up buying a full keg setup in any case, start out with a 9L corney and those mini regulators with a party tap, new keg R1350, mini reg R600, party tap R50, meter hose R15? Thats just over R2k with stuff that has secondhand value and will outlast those kegs.
                          Where would one get one of these setups for R2k to start with?

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                            Where would one get one of these setups for R2k to start with?
                            Rond shop

Play with Kegsolution's spreadsheet see where you end up. You are in PTA, so draughtcraft is an option for the kegging side of things, Brewmart have new Corney kegs, Brewcraft and YeahBrew also have a few bits and bobs.

I shopped around a bit, Bevplus has the cheapest regulators, kegs from Kegsolutions, lines/taps/fittings from Draughtcraft.

Comment

I'm trying to "rond shop" but prices are way more than R2k from what I can see, hence my question. Actually, twice that, seems to be the going rate

Comment

Working...
                              X