Storing harvested yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing harvested yeast

As you progress in this hobby, I'm sure you will build up quite a few containers of yeast.

I've just done a few brews but have probably got 6 containers in the fridge already... And I'm sure the wife is going to say something soon soon when I harvest the next batch.

Where/how do you store? A dedicated fridge?

I only store enough for the next brew.

I used to only brew with US-05, so after I keg I save the slurry for my next brew. ... If I then switch to say S-04 for some English brews, then I brew a few of those styles back to back so I can use the same yeast. When I go back to US-05 or whatever other yeast, I start with a fresh pack. Im currently on Kveik Voss (±12 brews), but prefer US-05, so I might switch back soon
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Im the wrong person to answer but thats never stopped me before! Ive thrown everything out. Just use fresh 05. Now with prohibition number next it might se difficult to find yeast again but ive only had infections on reused yeast. I cant pin point where i screwed it up so im over saving yeast. Not a problem anymore.
      When i was actively saving i found some plastic tubes/vials at bev + i think that take up very little space, was going to switch to them before i gave up. Will upload a pic once im home

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

i posted on here a while ago about storing yeast, you can freeze with glycerin, store at yeast bank, slants may be a bit ott. i'm keen to try and dry out some non kveiks to test the process. kveik can be dried easily enough.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
          i posted on here a while ago about storing yeast, you can freeze with glycerin, store at yeast bank, slants may be a bit ott. i'm keen to try and dry out some non kveiks to test the process. kveik can be dried easily enough.
          Hmmm.. Drying your yeast... Hmmmm
          https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads...5/post-8603318

Please do post it up WHEN you do it

Comment

They fit nicely in the egg stand at the top of your fridge door

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh wow.
              https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads...2/post-8235301

And then a few posts below he got it going again.

Comment

Just tested my 2 brews that I've got going. One was a fresh US-05 slurry pitch and the other was a month-old-in-fridge kveik oslo slurry pitch. Both ended up at 1.006 overshooting the FG by 2. First time it's happened for me. Is that normal?

I see if I change the attenuation percentage UP that it brings the expected FG down. This is in brewfather. So I guess I'm asking if slurry attenuates more than the package of dry yeast?

Comment

I used to get low - i.e. 1.006 FG with US05 all the time. Try mashing at 67 °C.
                  I brewed 3x with VOSS - made a 1.2litre DME starter with 1 packet. 1st batch finished at 1.012, then next 1.013 and the stout - to be expected at 1.015

Comment

Someone else may be able to actually answer your question.

But regardless, that is borderline quite low for beer regardless of yeast. Maybe a sanity distilled water calibration check for your hydrometer?
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

I just read the insert on my hydrometer (1st time)

1.jpg

The US-05 batch was at 20C and not the 15 it needs to be spot on... so to compensate I have to add 2... which makes it bangon 1.008. Interesting.. that means all my previous measurements were probably taken at too high a temp. Oh well.

Comment

Thats weird, they are usually calibrated at 20C I think.

Heres a handy-er one

https://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

EDIT: Oh, and RTFM
                        Langchop
                        Last edited by Langchop; 20 January 2021, 14:02.
                        Cheers,
                        Lang
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                          I just read the insert on my hydrometer (1st time)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2987[/ATTACH]

The US-05 batch was at 20C and not the 15 it needs to be spot on... so to compensate I have to add 2... which makes it bangon 1.008. Interesting.. that means all my previous measurements were probably taken at too high a temp. Oh well.
                          yikes! hopefully you weren't impatient and let them ferment out, else 2 points of SG + priming sugar could end you up with some potentially dangerous bottels.

Comment

I know it's not distilled.. but I just put the hydrometer into some cooled boiled water, and at 20C it's on 1

Comment

Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                              Just tested my 2 brews that I've got going. One was a fresh US-05 slurry pitch and the other was a month-old-in-fridge kveik oslo slurry pitch. Both ended up at 1.006 overshooting the FG by 2. First time it's happened for me. Is that normal?

I see if I change the attenuation percentage UP that it brings the expected FG down. This is in brewfather. So I guess I'm asking if slurry attenuates more than the package of dry yeast?

Urgh...my biscuit blonde is now going on 13 days in fermenter and has dropped to 1.004/5
                              How this going to affect the end result... a dry beer?

Comment

Working...
                              X