No announcement yet.

taste of beer varies bottle to bottle ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taste of beer varies bottle to bottle ?

As per title, I often find odd bottles tasting way off from the rest. I am assuming I have a bottle cleaning problem ?
    Could there be any other causes?

But you've already confirmed it's the mold (black spots) on the bottom of some of the bottles ?

I thought I had cleaned my quart bottles, but when I finished some of my less than wonderful beers I found black spots in bottom of bottle. I am guessing that these molds are the cause for my beers tasting different bottle to bottle.
    LINK
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

How are you priming? If its in a priming bucket (even if you are priming bottles individually I guess) it could also be that the sugar is not mixing well and slight variances in carbonation. Which can affect perceived tastes.

Plus, bottles stored differently, at different temperatures.

If all of these are consistent, its probably just the tasty black spots. Soon you can try kombucha
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

[QUOTE=JIGSAW;33174]But you've already confirmed it's the mold (black spots) on the bottom of some of the bottles ?
        Yes , that is my conclusion. Some of the bottles have no visible black spots, so I guess it must be trace elements, too small to see.
        I think I must start all over with the cleaning thing for a base line start, I was "clean by eye is clean", but it seems there are still somethings left behind.
        I have noted that the variance is less per batch as I go forward, so perhaps I am beating it.
        Wash after wash so to say.

Comment

I've also found that brewshop caps don't fit some bottles properly.
          Jack Black and Windhoek draft 440 don't work.
          They don't seal properly and loose carbonation, inviting oxidation.

I use SAB 750 quarts and brown craft 440 exclusively.

Comment

I used to avoid jack black and devil's peak. But if i take care when capping they both work. And ive used Windhoek throughout with no issues

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
              I use SAB 750 quarts and brown craft 440 exclusively.
              Do the same as you
              Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
                Do the same as you

Yup, I also have 24 Grolsch fliptops. Never had an issue. Trick is to thoroughly rinse and clean them after you've poured. I have my bottle tree in my scullery ready for the bottles as I pour. Once completely dry, I inspect and pack away in their crates and cover with a towel. Never had a bottle bomb or infection to date

Comment

Just got home to a very exited young man, my beer exploded.
                  The pineapple brew is being stored in a shed till I distill it, my son is thrilled, beer every where and much animated warfare discussion by a 12 year old.

Comment

Haha.. Keeping the lad entertained.

I pour, do the triple rinse to clean out the mini cake and then fill with water and leave outside. Day before bottling I put them through the dishwasher at hottest cycle and then next day a sanitise soak/rinse just before bottling.

So far so good!

Comment

Buying a dish washer seems a better idea every day.

Comment

With my swingtops I never used to rinse after each and every pour. Once you on the 3rd beer, cleaning isn't on the mind anymore

I usually leave about 50ml behind in the bottle ... close the top and put in crate.
                        I usually filled 3 crates like this before I set aside a Saturday afternoon to clean.
                        The i swirl the leftover and pour out ... give another rinse with hot water ... then fill with hot sodium-Percarbonate solution and let it sit (while having a beer)

Then force clean with high pressure gun ... pour out and repeat with just clean water via pressure gun for a final rinse ... onto bottle tree to dry ... refill within a few days later after some sanitizer.

Worked perfect for a good few years without issues.

I used to like doing it that way and didn't mind bottling, but after I got my first keg, i didn't want to ever bottle again
                        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I honestly think if I go kegging I'll get rid of all my bottles except my swingtops. Then I'll keg, carbonate and bottle from the keg into the bottles for a few bottles so I can carry them where I need to go. It just seems awesome.

Comment

Yeah i would love that but then i would say you need 2 to 3 kegs.
                            Ive got the blonde kegged.
                            Ive got lemon wine bottled and
                            Ive got a pale that is going to finish fermentation today and noware to put it coz i also thought i dont need a lot of bottles anymore

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X