Acidulated Malt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acidulated Malt

I was fiddling with bru'n water and looking at the effects of ph vs grainbill .. and it seems one need to add approx 2% acidulated malt to take you from 5.6 to 5.2-3 as a thumbsuck value. I know it depends of a variety of conditions.
    I googled the subject but got too much info.
    Does 2% seem fine?

I don't think we can go on X percentage.

I use between 200-300g ... sometimes it ±4% and other times ±6%

i must also add that with my last brew on Thursday the water PH from the tap was 9.4
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I had 45 litres punched in on bru'n water spreadsheet - and 200g seemed like the number to use according my water profile and calcs to 1.9% - hence the question..

Also I see on that spreadsheet is a bunch of water profile presets based on the colour of the beer. Are these any good ?, coz as it seems there are a lot of conflicting data out there - but then I guess, with this - there are so many variants.

Comment

Most of the times when I don't add Acid malt, my mash pH comes in at ±5.7

They say for every 0.1 point you want to drop the pH, you must add 1%
        (I dont add, I replace some of the base malt with acid malt ... not sure if that is what you're suppose to do ?)

... so, since i want to drop to about 5.2-5.3 I therefor add|replace ±4 % which in most cases is about 200g of the base malt that I then replace with acid malt.

I don't add ANY salts to my water (YET)

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
          They say for every 0.1 point you want to drop the pH, you must add 1%
          (I dont add, I replace some of the base malt with acid malt ... not sure if that is what you're suppose to do ?)

... so, since i want to drop to about 5.2-5.3 I therefor add|replace ±4 % which in most cases is about 200g of the base malt that I then replace with acid malt.
          basically what we do as well

Comment

Perfect.
            Adding salts also have an effect on raising/lowering the ph.
            Gypsum, Epsom Salts, Table Salt, Calcium Chloride lower ph
            Chalk & Baking Soda raises ph.
            Adding acidulated malt as part of the base malt makes sense to me.
            I think only add it to light medium colour beer. Roasted malt lowers the ph anyway - then again darker beer want a higher carbonate level, which raises ph.

Comment

tldr, mind the ph gap if kveiking - it drops pretty harsh
              . +1 to acidulated but i have used calcium chloride/carbonate/others with success

Comment

Originally posted by AlexBrew View Post
                Perfect.
                Adding salts also have an effect on raising/lowering the ph.
                Gypsum, Epsom Salts, Table Salt, Calcium Chloride lower ph
                Chalk & Baking Soda raises ph.
                Adding acidulated malt as part of the base malt makes sense to me.
                I think only add it to light medium colour beer. Roasted malt lowers the ph anyway - then again darker beer want a higher carbonate level, which raises ph.
                Since Im using Beersmith, I dug up this video where Brad explains it nicely how to work out exactly how much acid to add to adjust you pH from x to y

So in my last recipe to drop from an unadjusted 5,69 to a required 5,4 ... it calculates I need to add 290g of Acidmalt

Screenshot_23.png

I added 300g and then subtracted 300g from my base malt.

Comment

quick question, does anyone have experience using 80% lactic acid instead of acid malt? any negatives of skipping the malt and just using the acid?

Comment

Breweries do the lactic acid thing. It works just fine.

Comment

Aweh thanks!! Works out a bit cheaper as well.

Comment

Been fiddling with EZ-Water spreadsheet...
                        Image1.jpg
                        Here they also talk about a 2% acidulated malt addition as a standard - with 3% as a max.

No, not tried lactic acid - but if that is industry norm - then I'll look into that. prob cheaper than acidulated malt. I'm only getting into the acid malt since my last brew and salt additions 3 brew ago .. my options are open

Comment

https://essentiallynatural.co.za/

Found lactic acid here. R89/l its cheap as chips compared to acid malt.

Comment

Originally posted by Jitters View Post
                            https://essentiallynatural.co.za/

Found lactic acid here. R89/l its cheap as chips compared to acid malt.
                            I believe acidulated malt is available purely to comply with Rheinheidsgebot, not because its 'better' than directly adding an acid.
                            Cheers,
                            Lang
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                              I believe acidulated malt is available purely to comply with Rheinheidsgebot, not because its 'better' than directly adding an acid.

Correct. The idea is 'they' are adding grain .. and not acid

EDIT:
                              Imagine reading the label that reads:
                              Ingredients: malt, hops, water, yeast and acid.

Edit2:
                              or: malt, lactic acid, hops, water, calcium carbonate, magnesium sulphate, sodium chloride, calcium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, diamonium phosphate with sea kelp and fish guts
                              AlexBrew
                              Last edited by AlexBrew; 14 January 2021, 09:36.

Comment

Working...
                              X