Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Getting rid of kettle buildup

Closeup of my kettle bottom. This only happens on 1 side which I'm guessing is the element side. I have chucked in sodium percarbonate and then heated to 65 and scrubbed (lightly) but it didn't make much of a difference. What else can I try?

1.jpg

a quickie - look for barkeepers friend. place in jhb sells it (https://www.culinary.co.za/) i paid r70 or something and bought 5/6 containers. main ingredient is oxalic acid, you can mix this with citric or tartaric too, excellent for cleaning s/s and passivates it post clean. i use one of think pink scourers, add some barkeepers and a spritz of vinegar or citric acid. et voila. wear gloves.

careful for bleach type cleaners, it strips the top layer off the s/s and can lead to rust...eventually.

edit: the stuff is brilliant, it will clean that thing in no time flat. let it soak a bit and dont try to scrape if from the s/s

Thank you kind sir. And culinary is relatively close to me as well... bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by BruHaha View Post
    Closeup of my kettle bottom. This only happens on 1 side which I'm guessing is the element side. I have chucked in sodium percarbonate and then heated to 65 and scrubbed (lightly) but it didn't make much of a difference. What else can I try?

1.jpg
    That should work ... did you soak the SPC?

Add 2L water + 20G SPC and boil for a while then let it soak for ±10min ... it should lift right off

You could even boil a little water with dishwasher powder.

PS: I've had pots burn on pitch black that I soak with dishwasher powder ... after a few hours that black just rinses off like it was never burnt onto the metal
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by groenspookasem View Post
    a quickie - look for barkeepers friend. place in jhb sells it (https://www.culinary.co.za/) <>
    It was removed from their website a while back .. I don't think they stock it anymore??

I had a direct link to the product bookmarked which have been giving a 404 error for a while

Boiled SPC for 5 mins, let it stand for 10 mins... No dice.
    Added dishwasher powder, boil another 5 mins and let soak for 20 mins. Still nada.

Eish

Eish, that's weird.

I dont think you're going to find "Barkeepers Friend"

How about a paste of baking soda + vinegar mixed ... the old people used to clean everything that way

Secondly you need to investigate why that happens ... I don't recall others with electrical boilers getting it that bad ??

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post

Secondly you need to investigate why that happens
    That.

Is it purely burnt on guff or is that possibly corrosion as well? [Accelerated by high temps of the element? Cheap chinese stainlessish steel?]
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    Eish, that's weird.

I dont think you're going to find "Barkeepers Friend"

How about a paste of baking soda + vinegar mixed ... the old people used to clean everything that way

Secondly you need to investigate why that happens ... I don't recall others with electrical boilers getting it that bad ??
    try these guys, https://barkeepers.co.za/

or

^ Thanks