Getting rid of kettle buildup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
    Just to close the loop. Brewed yesterday and this is what the element looked like again.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]2975[/ATTACH]

I'm thinking that I mill too fine and then the "flour" gets through the bag and settles on the element. Will adjust for the next one.
    All good though. An hour soak with vinegar and it rubbed right off again.
    yeah i'd be careful with that. The exact same happened to me and I had to dump a batch because of scorching. I hope this brew doesn't taste like an ashtray....

Comment

If not the flour, what else could it be?

Yeah it is a logik urn.

It certainly didn't smell burnt.

Comment

You'll only find out/taste if its really got the scorching once the SG gets down closer to FG. The sugars mask it...

Hope that's not the case for you though

Comment

How I get rid of all my gunk that burned in, dried out or whatever(like I forgot to clean my system last weekend and by the time I got to it it already had some bugs developing a new ecosystem), I went to builders and bought 1kg of drain cleaner https://www.builders.co.za/Home-and-...00000000530281. I mixed 600g with 20l of water, heat it to 75C and recirculate through the pump for 60 minutes. After I was done I washed out my system with a water vinegar mix to neutralise the alkalinity of the caustic soda and the rinsed with clean water. My system looks like new every time. But I also would strongly recommend an oxygen alkaline detergent like http://beerbros.co.za/shop/brewery-equipment-cleaner/. Much better than my caustic soda method, but this weekend I did not have any so builders it was.

Comment

^ I bet that "oxygen alkaline detergent" has no less than 70% Sodium Percarbonate

Not to bad @R70 per 500g although SPC is about R125/5kg
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

My 50l urn gets the same gunk on it. I have to add I only boil for 30 minutes though so mine is only a light beige colour. It sticks to where the element sits and I just wash it off with some water and a dish sponge after each brew. Doesn't even take elbow grease if you do it early enough. The hot break is harder to remove, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by BruHaha View Post
                Just to close the loop. Brewed yesterday and this is what the element looked like again.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]2975[/ATTACH]

I'm thinking that I mill too fine and then the "flour" gets through the bag and settles on the element. Will adjust for the next one.
                All good though. An hour soak with vinegar and it rubbed right off again.
                certainly some "flour" scorching happening, i get that on reiterated mashes sometimes too. your efficiency might take a hit if you set the mill a bit coarser, but worth the effort of not cleaning up

Comment

Ferment in your boiler. The yeast nibble it clean for you
                  Cheers,
                  Lang
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Langchop View Post
                    Ferment in your boiler. The yeast nibble it clean for you

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Working...
                    X