When to dry hop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to dry hop?

Must you wait for fermentation to finish or can you start dry hopping during the fermentation process?
    Busy rebuilding ....

Now you drop a bomb like that this early in the morning.....

The short answer is when you like. The longer one is 4 to 5 days before bottling. Longer leads to grass but thats been disproven. Earlier during fermentation leads to bio transformation. You can google it. Some say it has a huge affect and others Dr. In brewing say it doesn't affect much.
    Others say 3 day dry hop is when you have max flavor
    Its up to you

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

I do it just before fermentation is done so that it replenishes the CO2 lost from opening and adding the hops.

Comment

Thanks all - will start my dry hop schedule tonight then .....
        Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Of the many theories I have heard, the following comes up most and seem to have most legitimacy to me, whether valid or not:
          -Dry hopping while there is still off-gassing (fermentation) results in loss of hop aromas
          -Dry hopping more than 2 days does not add anything further to the beer [and in my mind, frankly, more days starts eating away into the "fresh hop days" you have after bottling/kegging]

So as a rule I stick to 2 maybe 3 days only before bottling, and only after fermentation seems done

EDIT: I usually just tie that in with my diacetyl rest, when applicable
          Langchop
          Last edited by Langchop; 13 January 2021, 10:57.
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Dry Hop At Yeast Pitch vs. Standard Dry Hop In New England IPA | exBEERiment Results! | Brülosophy (brulosophy.com)

Biotransformation vs. Standard Dry Hop | exBEERiment Results! | Brülosophy (brulosophy.com)

take it for what it's worth, one data point.

I agree with lang, based on smart people measuring hop saturation in beer after 2 days the key indicators do not increase so anything longer is pointless, according to them.

Comment

Thanks for all info !!!

Thus if I have a hop schedule like this for example:

10g 4 days before bottling
              10g 2 days before bottling

It can be replace with

20g 2 days before bottling or with 20g 4 days before bottling and the taste will be same? (What I read from your comments and from the articles posted)
              Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Originally posted by FaanP View Post
                Thanks for all info !!!

Thus if I have a hop schedule like this for example:

10g 4 days before bottling
                10g 2 days before bottling

It can be replace with

20g 2 days before bottling or with 20g 4 days before bottling and the taste will be same? (What I read from your comments and from the articles posted)
                Thats a good question! I think you need to split your batch in 2 and tell us the variances afterward
                Cheers,
                Lang
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Started my dry hopping last night and this morning my fermentation fridge smelled AWESOME
                  Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

I never dry hop for mare than 3 days, unless bio-transformation.
                    Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Wat se goed?
                      Cheers,
                      Lang
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                      X